Marina's Mother

Interesting subject and thread!

I always have a tough time wrapping my head around the character of Marina. Mainly because the show wasn't consistent in how she was portrayed. That makes figuring out her parentage a bit of a challenge.

The first thing to remember is that the character came from the stage play, where, if I understand correctly, she was presented as a widow rather than as a never married woman. Then, in her early appearances and occasionally after, it comes across as if she's had plenty of experiences in sex and love. But later, and this is the view of her that is presented in the 25th anniversary special (IIRC), there is this suggestion of someone who is willing but still inexperienced. I think this latter view was how the show chose to present her when Summer Wine became viewed as a family show.

So I guess it depend on which Marina we are talking about. ;-)

You bring up a really good point there! They weren't really consistent with her character. My general impression of Marina is a misunderstood woman who possibly never got the attention she needed. I think we can all agree that very rarely does someone with loving parents end up like that. That's just my thoughts in terms of her overall character, but you're right, the different ways her character was portrayed should be taken into consideration.

You bring up a really good point there! They weren't really consistent with her character. My general impression of Marina is a misunderstood woman who possibly never got the attention she needed. I think we can all agree that very rarely does someone with loving parents end up like that. That's just my thoughts in terms of her overall character, but you're right, the different ways her character was portrayed should be taken into consideration.

Another inconsistency I was going to mention but forgot to is what the "Norman Clegg that was" line meant. According to Andrew Vine's book the actors for the longest time assumed it meant a reference to the events of the stage play story. But there was eventually an episode (I don't remember which one off the top of my head) where it was instead revealed to be a situation where Clegg and Marina were forced to spend time together in a stuck elevator/lift. So even among the actors some elements of Marina's character were not consistent.

But he might not have known!

In my ancestors family trees there seems to have been a fair bit of children being brought up in a different generation by grandparents because the father was "unknown" or more likely "not mentioned". Both sides of the family had various 'movements'.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Any one of them could have been her father. Heck, even Howard. The fact that she never once mentioned having a father, leads the viewer to believe that she was raised by a single mother. Which also makes the "Like mother, like daughter" theory more believable. I'm really enjoying talking about this. Let's keep those theories coming! :)

The first thing to remember is that the character came from the stage play, where, if I understand correctly, she was presented as a widow rather than as a never married woman.

So I guess it depend on which Marina we are talking about. ;-)

:17:Interesting, did not know she was portrayed differently in the stage play, don't know anything about the stage play of the show. Are there any links or books on the stage play that I could check out? :biggrin:

:17:Interesting, did not know she was portrayed differently in the stage play, don't know anything about the stage play of the show. Are there any links or books on the stage play that I could check out? :biggrin:

If you find any let me know, as I've looked before. ;-) What I know about the stage play is mainly from what is said about it in Andrew Vine's book. By that (and other) accounts, it was a popular but not very good adaptation of the characters and setting that ran in 1984, 1985, and 1987 (in a modified form). The significance is that the 1985 version was seen by Roy Clarke and Alan Bell, who decided that the actors that played Howard, Marina, Pearl, and Crusher that year were all worthy of being brought to the TV series to play their same characters. Marina was changed from a widow to never married when they brought the characters over.

It seems as if the stage play has a number of inconsistencies with the TV series. My approach is to let the TV series take precedence as the stage play was only 12 - 14 years after the start and there were another 21 years to go after it finished.

As in recent staged productions there are some inconsistencies with what is shown on stage with the history we can piece together from all the programmes. Something we have to live with; however I am reminded that when people in my family are retelling events from the past there are inconsistencies in the accounts especially when retold by different people. So why should SW not have inconsistencies - mirrors true life!

Did at one point think that the name marina could relate to a place where her parents met - the back seat of a Morris Marina! Then of course realised that they were only introduced in 1970 so would have made Marina all of 18 by the time she appeared - so that's that theory out of the window!

:biggrin:
;D
:35:
;D
;D

I agree - just noticed that you are very young to be Marina's twin!

:wink::29::42:

LOL I know! I chose that name because my mom says Marina and I are "personality twins" LOL Which actually brings up a theory that Marina had the same childhood I did. Strict military parents and a little sister who was always the favorite child. If we're going by that, then I understand exactly why Marina is the way she is.

Back