On two Wheels.

Mine look something like this
When I was a tot, my parents bought me an Irish Mail. It was a three wheeler where you sat on a box between the rear wheels, pumped a T-handle that came up between your thighs and steered the front wheel with your feet. It seemed that no one had heard of such a thing. People from work followed my Father home to watch me ride it around the cellar for a couple of minutes. It made a lot of people smile. Although it was probably commonplace in the UK, I never saw another one in the US.

I remember my little 3 wheeler with a tin box on the back that I used to ride down the footpaths to the bakers when I was about 4.
I never had a new bike ever. I always got a refurbished one of my Grandad, usually a Raleigh with racing handles. Then I progressed to making my own Frankenstein models and putting ape hangers or really wide cow horns on them. Sometimes I had to cut them down by a few inches as they were ridiculously wide and s bit of a danger on the road.

I remember my little 3 wheeler with a tin box on the back that I used to ride down the footpaths to the bakers when I was about 4.
I never had a new bike ever. I always got a refurbished one of my Grandad, usually a Raleigh with racing handles. Then I progressed to making my own Frankenstein models and putting ape hangers or really wide cow horns on them. Sometimes I had to cut them down by a few inches as they were ridiculously wide and s bit of a danger on the road.
I made a Frankenstein once. I was my Father's old Iver Johnson bicycle which featured 26" wheels, a two speed hub and coaster brake. It weighed a ton, I think it was made of pipe rather than tubing. I put on ape hangers, a sissy bar with banana seat and fork extension tubes. It looked like an easy rider chopper (not a Raleigh Chopper). It was really cool, but it was a bear to ride it up hill because you couldn't stand on the pedals.

Thanks for the memory!

…. Don’t forget pegging a bit of card or a lolly stick so it struck the spokes when the wheel went round to make the noise of a motorbike :)
They were known as 'spokey dokeys' when I was young, by that time they'd evolved to plastic beads which which slotted over the spokes. They'd then make a hell of a racket as they dropped as I rode my bike thinking I was the coolest person around :cool::cool::cool:

Back