On two Wheels.

Orange County Choppers. Needs the front lowered a bit, forks extended, and a smaller wheel. :D
Bora Natty, I looked at that for a while and think the front wheel is actually bigger than the rear. I am not sure why they did it that way. One of the OCC sons sketched up multiple proposed designs for almost all of their bikes, and he is the only son that continues in the Motorcycle business. Those multiple prospective sketches were then discussed at length by the OCC staff and the customer, which in this case would have been Schwinn, then the final design selection was made. I agree with you, a smaller wheel in the front may have looked better, but the bigger wheel was ultimately selected. If there was ever background music for the OCC Stingray, it would be Steppenwolf's 'Born To Be Wild'.

Did you ever ride a Raleigh Chopper? I did as a young adult and I loved it, but I gave it back to its rightful owner anyway. I had a Raleigh Tourist Deluxe at the time and the chopper felt as solid and nice as the Tourist.

No Sir, I don't recall any of the kids having a Raleigh bike, that I recall. You're right Seymour, that wheel is bigger as far as height, that's why I said it had to go, lol! I used the watch the OCC show, but then as it went on, it became all about the father and son fighting all the time, and it just got old, at least for me. I love build shows, I watch the MotorTrend channel a lot, when I'm not watching Last of the Summer Wine of course..

No Sir, I don't recall any of the kids having a Raleigh bike, that I recall. You're right Seymour, that wheel is bigger as far as height, that's why I said it had to go, lol! I used the watch the OCC show, but then as it went on, it became all about the father and son fighting all the time, and it just got old, at least for me. I love build shows, I watch the MotorTrend channel a lot, when I'm not watching Last of the Summer Wine of course..
Bora Natty, I grew up in Worcester Massachusetts and the biggest bike shop there was Eastern Cycle. It was owned by a family of Greek immigrants. They imported all English Bicycles, probably from their experience with them back in the old country. In Worcester, English bikes were everywhere.

I thought that the family infighting on the OCC television show was feigned for effect, but based on the number of inter-familial lawsuits that arose when the show imploded on itself, I now see they weren't. Years ago my Employer sent me on an assignment in Southeastern Connecticut. The assignment ended at 9AM on Friday, so I moved out of the hotel and headed South on Route 95, bound to visit Orange County Choppers and see the motorcycle bling up close and personal. As I crossed the New York border, I saw a mile long caravan of shiny new Peterbuilt tractor trailer trucks, all bearing the OCC logo and graphics, heading North. I figured they were headed to a show somewhere so there was no reason to continue my trip. Alas another lifetime opportunity missed.

I also love build shows.

Wow, they must have been raking in the money between the show and builds. I don't know if you've seen the show TranAM, but when I was in Tallahassee, Fl. I visited the brothers that own TransAM Worldwide, and TransAM depot. I had a Smokey and the Bandit SE many moons ago and have always loved the car. These guy bought the name TransAM when Pontiac went out of business. They actually manufacture new ones. To me, they look like they're based off a Camaro, but it does have hints of the old. While I was there, a Smokey was shipped in from New York. I wish I could have kept all the cars I had, they'd be worth a fortune, but alas, you know how life's priorities can be..

Wow, they must have been raking in the money between the show and builds.
The actual value of OCC was closely guarded, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear it was more than a Billion. I would imagine that the lawyers consumed most of it. That is what usually happens in family squabbles that make it to court. Anger and vindictiveness will overcome reason every time. The Father ended up bankrupt and is now living in Florida. He started an OCC roadhouse (bar) and a restaurant and, laughably, I heard he was accused of running a Ponzi scheme. I wouldn't have thought him smart enough, but he might be one of those "dumb-like-a-fox" types.

I will be wintering in Arcadia Florida this winter. The snowbird is fluffing up his feathers right now getting ready for the flight South. I will be floating around the state seeing friends. I will try to swing by Tallahassee to see the Trans Am place. Pontiacs were always a great car. The GTO was legendary and it evolved from the basic LeMans. I remember seeing the first Trans Am, I think it was in 1970. The big eagle on the hood was soooo cool. A classmate of mine got one from his Parents as a high school graduation present. I wasn't so fortunate.

I used to winter in Deland, which is right in from Daytona beach. I sold the property back in 2016, there was a medical issue in the family and you do what you have to do. I miss the winters there, especially when they're already talking about this year being bad. Ah, the screaming chicken on the hood. It looks so good in gold on a black Trans AM. I hope you think of us poor folks up to our necks in snow this winter. I remember one winter not real long ago we were. We had two 36" snows four days apart. We were shoveling it out above our heads..

I know where Deland is. I had a Cousin that lived in Ormond Beach who I visited quite a bit. We don't get much snow on Cape Cod, but I have had enough of the cold. What I pay to heat my house will pay for my winter in Florida, it is what you call a no brainer.

The fabrication of these motorcycles was televised on the show 'Orange County Choppers' which featured the actual family.
yea... have a google for the Geico Bike. It doesnt actually run properly.. it could never have run... It appears as though it was all a front
2 blokes been trying for 6 mths to get it going. They've had professionals on the job and all!

yea... have a google for the Geico Bike. It doesnt actually run properly.. it could never have run... It appears as though it was all a front
2 blokes been trying for 6 mths to get it going. They've had professionals on the job and all!
When I retired, I greatly reduced my cable TV subscription because I didn’t want to live the dream sitting in front of the boob tube pursuing mindless entertainment and being brainwashed by the media. I lost all the channels that featured the “build shows” including OCC. That said, I didn’t follow OCC past my retirement. Although I saw the beginning of the OCC family infighting, I wasn’t watching it anymore when it got really bad and the show self destructed, and I didn’t see the Geico machine under construction.

OCC used a crate long block for all of their builds. It was built as a high end replacement for the HD V-twin. Although probably lighter in weight, it was an equivalent in form, fit and function, which meant the crate engine had the same inherent limitations as the HD stock engine. The guys at OCC used to put these crate engines on and set them up very quickly, the initial starts were always sweet and they had just the right pleasing rumble for a chopper.

I think they tried to tweak the performance of the engine of the Geico machine with bolt on stuff. ‘Hot Rod’ magazine suggested back in the early 70s that you can only go so far with bolt-ons. I don’t think that any of the OCC boys, or their consultants, had the depth to undertake what they were trying to do.

One would need a clear understanding of the time-history of the engine’s enthalpic reaction, through all 4 cycles, to engineer a specific valve porting scheme and a tuned port induction system necessary for the kind of performance the boys at OCC were seeking. Also, It is questionable whether such an effort would even be worthwhile in the first place, for such an archaic engine design with its inherent limitations.

After the boys at OCC shipped the bike off to others to fix, One consultant was on the phone with another consultant who were both watching the output traces of an engine analyzer and speculating where to go next. I am sure this analyzer took multiple inputs off the engine and applied an algorithm to plug and chug the mass-balance equation, and display an output trace over the rpm range. They then started to rule out probable causes of the anomalous and unexpected results. I think what these consultants were missing was the analyzer’s algorithm presumed that the engine had an optimized valve porting scheme and a tuned induction manifold, which it didn’t.

I got a kick out of the OCC boys’ attempt to use Avio fuel (100% octane leaded gas). It was a trick used by old time hot rodders to add horsepower. The trick worked fine in the big ol’ V8 engines of yesteryear and I am sure the valves were lavishing in the fuel’s lead content. It makes me think of Compo’s bath in “fragrant essence of ferret” from ‘Going to Gordon’s Wedding’. Based on the awful noises the engine on the Geico bike was making with Avio fuel, it was a bad idea. I won’t even speculate what was happening internal to the engine.

Now, I use Avio fuel in my old lawnmower and snowblower engines. The ethanol in the fuel we now have was digesting the elastomerics in the soft seats of the carburetor needle valves every couple of years. The ethanol was also digesting the Buna-N O-ring fuel bowl seals This would result in fuel leaking out of the primer bulbs and the engines not starting. I found I could get the old soft seats out with my Mother’s crochet hook and press the new ones in with the end of a pencil. The Avio fuel ended this biennial nuisance. The engines run a bit rough, but that is OK. As Wesley put it “it all comes down to the naturally skilled bloke with an hammer”.

Overall, I liked the Geico bike. It looked like a remake of the V Rod with a cafe racer like soft tail, with some kind of chopper-like fork scabbed onto the front. The seat would have been unbearable. I loved the color. It will make a great display unit adorned with some pretty girls.

At my age I could never ride a bike like that on a long trip. There's a huge difference in a chopper bicycle, and a chopper motorcycle. My arms extended like that, would do me in. plus the lack of proper control. A young man's cycle, for sure..

There was a girl who lived down the road who had special needs. Her parents had gotten her a bicycle that was too large and she was unable to ride it. Her mother saw that we had a smaller bike, so we traded. I think that the bike that we got was red. It was nice to ride.

Back