Re-used ideas in the show?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they go up the hill in a chair more than once? Or did they go up the hill in something else the other time?

A chair, a couch on a auto frame, a bike on skis, on their bottoms on pieces of plastic, on cake pans, in barrels. All hilarious!!!!:biggrin:

Perhaps the most shameless piece of repition was between Barry's Christmas and A Leg Up for Christmas. (I think it was those episodes, with Father Christmas and the hearse.) You'll have to correct me if I'm wrong.
Oh, I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this. I see no similarity. A Leg Up was priceless. Barry's Christmas felt like filler to me. Could do without.

I do see "loose repeating", but not literal repeating.

One example- and I will eventually come up with more- Clegg's reversing the car into the drive way in Who's Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales Then? and Jack Harry Teasdale's reversing the camper in Come Back Jack Harry Teasdale.

This certainly isn't a criticism.

And reversing into the pond outside Seymour's in Uncle of the Bride :35: :35: :biggrin: :biggrin: ;D ;D :35: :35: :32: :32: :biggrin: :biggrin: ;D ;D

And reversing into the pond outside Seymour's in Uncle of the Bride :35: :35: :biggrin: :biggrin: ;D ;D :35: :35: :32: :32: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Reversing into the pond was similar to reversing in the garage forecourt ,getting ready for the jaunt to Wales. ;D

Reversing into the pond was similar to reversing in the garage forecourt ,getting ready for the jaunt to Wales. ;D

And of course he reversed when he bought the car for £30 - after the Humber escapade with Walter ....

Perhaps he was a natural reverser - usually from women! (Another repeated ploy!):):)

Perhaps the most shameless piece of repition was between Barry's Christmas and A Leg Up for Christmas. (I think it was those episodes, with Father Christmas and the hearse.) You'll have to correct me if I'm wrong.

Speaking of repetitions, on LOTSW, Nora is hanging her laundry and Alvin's making critical comments about the clothing. And on Open All Hours, Arkwright is watching Gladys hang her laundry and making pointed remarks.

Speaking of repetitions, on LOTSW, Nora is hanging her laundry and Alvin's making critical comments about the clothing. And on Open All Hours, Arkwright is watching Gladys hang her laundry and making pointed remarks.

But that is part of the routine - hanging out the washing and I recall men commenting on what is there for all to see back in the 1970s. My wife was never happy with it on such public display and thought that a tumble drier was the correct approach. We compromised on a creel in the kitchen - still there 25 years since I fitted it and still functioning as intended.

I think there is some confusion here on re-used ideas, and the familar routines most episodes have.

All the banter with Compo and Nora in the mornings, Clegg and Howard, Foggy and the stranger, trips to the cafe etc - all deliberately made to seem the same.

Clegg's bad driving, buying old cars, messing about in water etc - again deliberately re-used from time to time - it's these things that make LOTSW.

Most of the time the show is clearly trying to be the same every week.

But actual re-used plots - quite rare really considering there's 295 shows. I suppose Uncle of the Bride and There Goes the Groom are similar - yet very different as well, so I wouldn't count these.

I re-watched Behind Every Bush There is Not Necessarily a Howard yesterday and one moment seemed very familiar:

Hobbo`s request in the library, "What have you got on untraceable poisons?" is a straight copy of Foggy`s, "Have you anything on silent killing?"

Foggy`s line is funnier though.

Aside from that, not a bad episode and I seem to like Hobbo a lot more than most here.

But that is part of the routine - hanging out the washing and I recall men commenting on what is there for all to see back in the 1970s. My wife was never happy with it on such public display and thought that a tumble drier was the correct approach. We compromised on a creel in the kitchen - still there 25 years since I fitted it and still functioning as intended.

Barm, is a creel like a mangle?

Back