Smoking

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
During my trip back from Kenya, it really struck me over how much Smoking has changed over the last few decades. Growing up, my dad only smoked an occasional cigar but my grandparents smoked cigarettes. It bothered me when my grandparents' living room got too stuffy.

Throughout my adult life I have never been around anyone who smokes too much. In my family's weekly environment of home, school, church, playground, tv shows, etc. no one smokes. It really struck me how no one around us smokes when we were at the Brussels Airport with the kids. During our layover we went to any outdoor waiting area. I noticed quite a few people were smoking out there. Then, next to us a lady sat down smoking. My "near" 6 yr old son asked really loud, "Daddy, whats that smoking smell?"

Wow. He really never smelled cigarette smoke before. Then he observed all the used cigarette butts on the ground. He asked, "why are there so many crayons laying on the ground?" He really had no idea!

Welcome back Cod, hope you had a great holiday.
Smoking is banned in all indoor public places here now so our kids don't see to much of it. I smoked until 13 years ago when my first grandchild was born, my sister in law was dying of lung cancer at the same time and she said her biggest regret was that she wouldn't see her grandchildren grow up so that was it for me I stopped.

I gave up about 12 years ago when they were getting towards £4 a pack of 20,I see there are around £8 a pack these days,I have noticed less and less folk seem to smoke these days,though they say the younger generation are still puffing on them, where would the tax man find the extra £14 billion if everyone stopped tomorrow,even though they spend a billion of this on smoking related illness it is still a large chunk of money to find

Yep, me as well. I smoked up to 4 packs of unfiltered
camels, luckies, and pell mells from about age 15
to age 34. Then I quit cold to start riding bicycles seriously.

What really contributed to my habit was a maintenance job
where I crawled under large machines to apply grease and
oil. Under each machine I would set down the lit butt, do the
job, pick up the almost-expired butt, and light another from it
before going to the next machine.

chuck

Yes I gave up about 1982 or 1983, can not really recall which year. I was on a mixture of some foul pipe tobacco, French or Turkish cigarettes and cigars! Not your standard Woodbines for me!

Although I recall that you could start for less than 1/- (5p in today's money) back in 1962 as you could get a packet of five Woodbines ( W D & H O Wills) or five Weights (Player's) for 10 1/2d (about 4.5p in decimal currency) which on a very crude calculation makes them more expensive comparative to earnings today than fifty years ago.

Within a few years I was a science teacher and the doubts about the wisdom of smoking began to sink in as we regularly showed a number of anti-smoking films to our classes (it was a senior High School so started at age 14 years). However it took me some while to cease.

Early SW episodes showed the trio smoking, although I never recall Foggy doing so; certainly Cleggy, Compo and Blamire all did. Seymour had a pipe in a top pocket although that disappeared part way through his run, presumably as the anti-smoking lobby grew stronger. But we never, as far as I remember ever saw him use it.

I've never smoked.

Isn't it nice now in the UK to go into a pub without all that smoke?

Some pubs were so smoky that I walked out immediately, and found a less smoky one.

It amazes me how teenagers still take it up.

I liked the way LOTSW started with them smoking - it was appropriate at the time. And as time passed, it was appropriate to show them giving up. I think the presence of Foggy helped this seem feesible.

To anyone thinking about taking up smoking;
I quit in 2005 - 15 years after being told I had emphysema.
Tomorrow morning I am being put on oxygen at home and need a wheelchair to go out,

I am another one with emphysema ,also with bronchiectasis. I was a smoker and the medics blame that,but I am not yet as bad as George.I am on 3 inhalers daily ,1 permanent antibiotic and have a season ticket for the local chest clinic.I lost my wife last year to lung cancer so I echo Georges wise words about not starting smoking.

George and Dick, I am so sorry about what you are both going through. I am glad though that you were able to share so that our prayers will be with you.

It sounds like the changes there came about when are changes started as well in regards to the smoking bans.

My grampa Arthur, who reminds me of Compo, was a tobacco farmer in Kentucky. We thought nothing of it. Everyone smoked and our TV advertisers promoted smoking even. after it was found that it was bad for you.
My brother is a year younger than I and is starting to show complications from smoking but I cannot convince him to stop. It must be a horrible addiction. As I said I will keep you in my prayers.

I quit chewing tobacco (Redman,Beechnut) on 5/24/2008 on my grandmother's birthday. I lost most of my molars and my dentist said my gums were almost down to the bone in the back of my mouth. I stopped, but the gums never returned to normal.
I grew up in coal country and most of the miners chewed tobacco due to the coal dust being flammable. Everyone that I knew up there chewed and it was a given that when you were old enough, normally 14ish, you would chew too.
I picked it up from my dad (who worked for the road crew) who smoked for 30 years and the doctor told him he would die in 6 months, so he started chewing, he lived another 23 years. I would sneak a chew when he wasn't looking.
I now have a gross reminder as well as a first hand account of how tobacco can harm you. I have major stomach issues that I deal with from swallowing the tobacco juice, not to mention my teeth.
I have 3 siblings that smoke, 2 are now on oxygen.
At one point in my life I was into drugs pretty bad, however quitting drugs was nothing compared to the withdrawals I had with tobacco. Thankfully I have an awesome wife who put up with the coming down off drugs and the tobacco withdrawals.
I still would love a chew, especially on a cold morning, when the sun is coming up on the horizon, but no way. Its the past.
George and Dick, I'm sorry for what you are going through. I'm truly sorry.

My mam gave up when she was 70 it was really hard for her but she had loads of support, the day the nurse told her her breath test was normal she came skipping out the office like kid who'd been told they never had to go to the dentist again she was so happy and proud but it was to late she died 18 months later due to smoking but I'll never forget how happy she was.

George and Dick you to boys take care of yourself's, that's a Nora Batty order, this forum wouldn't be the same without you both.

;D Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Yes Susan I'll do as I am told ,dont want handbagging ;) ;)

Had a puff of one of my dad's cigars once,made me feel sick. Chccolate is my main vice.
I know how you feel C W Northrop.

I tried smoking one time in college. My friends and I were late for curfew at school and decided smoking would calm me down. I was the color green for the next 24 hours. ;D

I smoked for about 3 years, I do believe that for some people it seems to be a genetic trait about easily quitting. I quit with almost no cravings, as did my father. My mother however never could, and she passed away very young(58) due to smoking.

Back