Something to view in lockdown

As I can't really travel at the moment I occasionally jump on Earthcam and get a quick view of places I wish I could visit for the first time or indeed again when this is over. I popped onto the Times Square Cams in New York, the time there was 04.32 yet strangely there were two guys in suits and one guy with a camera and tripod and they seemed to be posing for photos .

I know its a bit Hitchcock Rear Window but I am intrigued why two well dressed guys and a photographer decided that to get the photo they need why does it have to be at Four Thirty in the morning, did they get up, dressed and go there , have they been out all night and are taking the photo as a memento of their visit before going back to their Hotel , the photographer doesn't appear of face value to be a friend or have been out socially with them as he is not dressed in suit ? Hoping you can see them clearly enough from this screen dump.

View attachment 3289
At any other time, given the location I'd guess that the people in the web cam image had been out all night, but since you posted that image in May, presumably you grabbed it then, when New York City was still in Phase 1 lockdown. They could have done curbside pickup of food and even of alcohol, but the entertainment venues were all closed. Entertainment consisted of a walk in a park wearing a mask and ready to alter your route when someone approached in order to maintain your 6' safety perimeter.

Their activities that night/morning will forever remain a mystery!

As usual, I'm the odd one out here. I've had my face in mysteries and now branching out to novels at the rate of about one per day. My most recent choices have come from the reviews on the Furrowed Middlebrow blog, as well as others published by the Dean Street Press. Most are available as e-books, many libraries have them in their electronic collections, failing that source the purchase prices are very low, usually about $3.99.

Marianna you are not alone I have bought all sorts of books over this period of crisis plus I have revisited some early mystery books I had on my tablet namely the wonderful Agatha Christie . A lot of the books I have purchased revolve around TV shows some of which I quoted in other threads including one that had narrative and pictures of a number of locations for TV shows . I have been catching up on Midsomer Murders which I had never really watched but I am hooked on bought a really nice book which covers details of all the locations /episodes but also gives you a history of that locations whether that is a village or Stately Home . I have also purchased books about the history of certain towns and cities not only my own but also Oxford and Chester both of which I visited in happier times.

I mentioned I have been catching up on Midsomer Murders well today it was Send in the Clowns featuring our very own Barry. I won't give the plot away but he plays Led " Oucho" Morrison a clown with a drink problem. In LOTSW he is often referred to as "Young " Barry he has aged a bit and is definitely no longer "Young " Barry just shows how time marches on :(

No apologies for posting this but my favourite Strictly Smokin Big Band released this featuring Mike Lovatt ( he blows the introduction). If there are any avid Proms fans you might recognise Mike who features in all of the big band concerts which have featured in recent years. I hope you enjoy iy.

BBC News has a little article compiled by one of their feature writers outlining things to view to ease the long days of isolation . One short film has one of the most iconic shots ever seen in films . The short is available on a site which I'd not come across and it holds a plethora of things to look at this is the link . When you consider that the film was made in 1902 its remarkable in terms of what they achieved .

There is also a reference to an artist who I remember from years ago who appeared on daytime TV Bob Ross who had such a laconic delivery and his paintings were really good I recall.

Just thought the film in a particular would be of interest

The BBC are one of the channels that made lockdown unbearable by ramping up the fear and interminable what people are doing in lockdown segments. Thankfully they've also shown some good stuff. I also find YouTube hiking videos a good escape from the madness.

I thought I would share another lockdown video of a big band who won this years Count Basie Great American Swing Contest 2020 which was all done by video submission . The bandleader Danny Jonokuchi was due to play at a local venue in Newcastle earlier this year for which I had tickets sadly Covid put pay to that but so pleased he won this prestigious contest . Its one for all you jitterbuggers and lindy hoppers on the site .

I have been watching Mortimer and Whitehouse go Fishing which is a really relaxing and funny series [on BBC Iplayer if you want to watch] and I got thinking . Whilst clearly they have visited many places to make the series sadly at present we cannot . They use a lot of drone footage and the penny finally dropped [I am a bit slow on the uptake] if I can't go on Holiday why not bring the Holiday to my living room .

I am not a lie on a sunbed person and I would much rather explore places to look at the architecture and scenery and so I put "Drone Tours" in You Tube search and a plethora of videos popped up where people have used a drone to explore countries and destinations world wide, normally accompanied by some gentle relaxing music .

I thought I would share this with you, I am sure some people are way ahead of me but hoping some may wish to have a look . I know Pearl likes Scotland and clearly cannot get there at present so here's a drones eye view of some of the beautiful scenery Scotland can offer.

I have been watching Mortimer and Whitehouse go Fishing which is a really relaxing and funny series [on BBC Iplayer if you want to watch] and I got thinking . Whilst clearly they have visited many places to make the series sadly at present we cannot . They use a lot of drone footage and the penny finally dropped [I am a bit slow on the uptake] if I can't go on Holiday why not bring the Holiday to my living room .

I am not a lie on a sunbed person and I would much rather explore places to look at the architecture and scenery and so I put "Drone Tours" in You Tube search and a plethora of videos popped up where people have used a drone to explore countries and destinations world wide, normally accompanied by some gentle relaxing music .

I thought I would share this with you, I am sure some people are way ahead of me but hoping some may wish to have a look . I know Pearl likes Scotland and clearly cannot get there at present so here's a drones eye view of some of the beautiful scenery Scotland can offer.

Looks good in 4k resolution

YouTube has a lot of videos from all around the world. I enjoy watching hiking videos.

I came across another Cam site which has lots of different cameras from many countries . I was directed there by a link to a station "at the end of the world" Tierra Del Fuego [which you can find by selecting it from the by Country filter on the site ] . There are some great views including places I have visited and including Thessaloniki which I hope I can return to in September .

I've been keeping busy during the covid situation. I quit work in December 2019 due to my lung collapsing and a paralyzed esophagus and paralyzed diaphragm. Yes, it was a crazy surprise. No injury or anything, just got short of breath all of a sudden, thought it was asthma, nope! I've recovered some (more like adapted, everything is still the same). But, anyways, I started repairing vehicles at my house and I've gotten pretty busy lately. Simply word of mouth is getting around. I just take my time and pace myself. Of course Lotsw is a daily part of my life and with having Britbox, I've been checking out other shows as well. One foot in the grave, Father Brown, Vicar of Dibley, As time goes by.

Captain Clutterbuck, I never thought of checking out webcams, I love it!!! Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, my hometown has a live webcam.
Ligonier, PA, USA

Last edited:
Looks a really nice place , love that square , in good weather I imagine it gets very busy . Though the architecture is very modern it is aesthetically very pleasing on the eye , I like the canopies on the buildings they definitely add something.

I've been keeping busy during the covid situation. I quit work in December 2019 due to my lung collapsing and a paralyzed esophagus and paralyzed diaphragm. Yes, it was a crazy surprise. No injury or anything, just got short of breath all of a sudden, thought it was asthma, nope! I've recovered some (more like adapted, everything is still the same). But, anyways, I started repairing vehicles at my house and I've gotten pretty busy lately. Simply word of mouth is getting around. I just take my time and pace myself. Of course Lotsw is a daily part of my life and with having Britbox, I've been checking out other shows as well. One foot in the grave, Father Brown, Vicar of Dibley, As time goes by.

Captain Clutterbuck, I never thought of checking out webcams, I love it!!! Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, my hometown has a live webcam.
Ligonier, PA, USA

Looks almost a roundabout

Looks almost a roundabout
It pretty much is with stop signs entering. It's been that way since before I was born. My father used to drive stock cars (pretty good from what I've heard, he had multiple sponsors, locally) and basically was a trouble maker in his younger days He had a 51 Ford shoebox, flathead V-8 and raced the same kind of car, he loved those cars. When there was jurisdiction laws and police wasn't allowed to go out of their jurisdiction to arrest you, my father would race around that roundabout until the police would show up and haul his butt out of town and stop at the edge of town to taunt them. They did catch him one time and I have his Notice to appear in court paperwork. Small town life, course that has all changed now. Funny thing is, he ended up working for the same township he used to run from. He plowed the roads in the winter and fixed them them in the summer. 35 yrs and said enough is enough, and we moved to Florida. He didn't like it here and after a few years went to South Carolina near the mountains, by then I was dating my wife and I stayed. Rest is history.

Looks a really nice place , love that square , in good weather I imagine it gets very busy . Though the architecture is very modern it is aesthetically very pleasing on the eye , I like the canopies on the buildings they definitely add something.
Thanks, Yes, a lot of weddings happen there on the "diamond". The town was a fort for the British in the French and Indian war. Named after a British commander in chief, Sir John Ligonier., interesting read.
In the fall, they have Fort Ligonier days and over 100,000 people flock to that little town, war reenactments, parade, vendors, etc. We would always stay home that weekend because it was a nightmare to go into town. It really was a great place to grow up, the school was up on a hill (can't see in the frame) and we used to walk down after school and go to the library, its to the right of the "diamond" in the middle, building with the big window, then we'd walk down to the bowling alley and spend any money we had on video games. My father worked at the bottom of the town and I'd walk down a catch a ride home. A day in the life of me as a kid, reminds me Fotsw, all in all, it was a good childhood. I liked having seasons, no seasons here in Florida summer to fall, no real winter to speak of and after March it goes hot again.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying Ben Fogle's New Lives in the Wild which is one of my favourite TV programmes. Though I wouldn't want to live a hard physical life I can understand how some people want to escape modern society in live a more natural life.

YouTube has some great stuff. I've been watching lots of hiking videos, and of course it's good for music videos. This video has great shots of Scotland alongside my favourite Runrig song:

Back