The Summerwine.net music thread

David,

There was a great UK trilogy of shows featuring the music of Bix Beiderbecke starring James Bolam [Bix's hugest fan] and Barbara Flynn , the three series were peppered with his music and the shows were hugely entertaining and successful.

David,

There was a great UK trilogy of shows featuring the music of Bix Beiderbecke starring James Bolam [Bix's hugest fan] and Barbara Flynn , the three series were peppered with his music and the shows were hugely entertaining and successful.
Wow! Once again two seemingly divergent interests--jazz and James Bolam--intersect! It's what my wife refrs to as my "control of the universe"! I had no idea that program existed. I've just found the first episode and I'll watch it this week.

I've recently decided that I will spend the rest of my years as a James Bolam character (when he's in comedy mode, that is).

Just back from the Sage in Gateshead after seeing these guys for second time . Given only Donald Fagen left from the band , after Walter Becker sadly passed away , and unlikely to tour UK again these guys are every bit as good . Really great night .

The Go-Betweens- "Was There Anything I Could Do?"

No one I know from my age group seems to remember this song, but I've never forgotten it.

Just found this I didn't know existed. A beautiful and specially written song in tribute to our wonderful little show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr Dury was one of my favourite artists ever his ability to make a rhyme out of anything coupled with Chaz Jankel's music was just fantastic .

You're not Bridget Bardot, I'm not Jack Palance.
I'm not Shirley Temple by any circumstance,
Or Fred Astaire

You're not Sidney Taffler, I'm not Dirk Bogarde.
I'm not very stylish, and you're not avant garde,
Or Lional Blair

One of, if not the very best Irish folk song was actually written by Staffordshire couple June and Phil Colclough, inspired by a visit to the Dingle peninsula on the south west coast of Ireland. I put this video together and uploaded it to youTube in 2013, sung here by Mary Black.

"California Dreamin' "- The Mamas and the Papas

This song is definitively, screamingly 1960s, yet it does so without mentioning anything associated with that decade, but still captures what I imagine must be the feeling of the time.

Last edited:
Back