Tough Episodes

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
T'other night we watched Last Post and Pigeon.
That was rough.

Then we watched the next three episodes where you see
only bits and pieces of Compo depending on whether he had
actually died yet. Magic and the Morris Minor was the
toughest.

But now I am putting off watching Elegy for Fallen
Wellies. These next three will be really difficult.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I agree, Chuck, Bill Owen's last episodes are very emotional and difficult to watch.
Not only his physical appearance told us what was happening to him, but his voice (especially in the 3 unfinished episodes) was a reminder even if you weren't looking at the screen. I don't watch those episodes too often.

Oddly enough, I don't have a problem watching the 3 episodes on his passing. I still cry sometimes during them, but they are so well written, that now that I'm used to the fact that he's gone, I'm able to enjoy Roy Clarke's brilliant writing and the cast member's superb acting. Even though Compo's not in them, they are written and performed in such a way you feel his presence there.

Marilyn

Totally agree. Those 3 epidodes were sad but the writing and the acting of Peter Sallis And Frank Thornton was wonderful. Must have been hard to do.

Yes, the three episodes regarding Compo's passing are difficult but I agree how the actors/actresses accomplished such a wonderful performance especially Peter Sallis.

I can't watch any of them, Last Pigeon or the 2 or 3 Bill's in. To sad, he looks too ill bless him.

I watch the last 3 episodes quite regular I think they are so well written and performed, being both funny and sad at the same time. Roy Clarke did not have much time to put those together. I dont think any other writer could have done it as well as him.

In the Compo's passing trilogy, it seems as though Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton didn't have to do very much acting - their grief was probably as real as it appears. Despite Bill Owen's discomfort about the other two having been born more 'up-market' than he was, they were friends.

The scenes in each of those that bring a lump to my throat are the ones where Truly and Pearl are being comforting to Clegg. Clarke did a wonderful job of showing a soft side of Truly that we seldom saw, and that I had never even guessed existed in Pearl.

Marianna

"Elegy for Fallen Wellies" made me cry and I don't usually cry about stuff like that. It was a very touching episode. My mom and I skip over that one. Mostly because we refuse to cry in front of each other.

I watch the last 3 episodes quite regular I think they are so well written and performed, being both funny and sad at the same time. Roy Clarke did not have much time to put those together. I dont think any other writer could have done it as well as him.

Yes, my sentiments exactly.

We did watch Elegy for Fallen Wellies last night and, again, it
was great. Wonderfully written; wonderfully acted. The scenery and
the feeling as Clegg and Truly sit alone with that beautiful
scenic valley behind was wonderful. Wesley, as always was
great as well.

I will always miss Compo, but these three take some of the
sting out of it.

Oh -- by the way -- just found a copy of a BBC program that is a
Tribute to Bill Owen. Wonderful stuff!!! Glad I have it.

Well I see where you are coming from, Chuck, and it is a very interesting topic you brought up. I partially agree with you that there is a sadness to episodes such as Magic and the Morris Minor and Beware of the Vanilla Slice. When I watch those, I am a little sad not because Owen was ill at the time (he chose to carry on), but sad because I realize the end is near.

On the contrary though, when watching that era I think of the professionalism of some of those long time cast members. Example; Bill Owen working through illness (he didn't have to but he wanted to continue), Bill Owen and Brian Wilde not getting along but working side by side for so many years due to their comittment, and Peter Sallis and Jane Freeman starring through the entire duration of the show. This extreme comittment and professionalism is part of Summer Wine's greatness.

Agree with all, Bill was great and it was difficult to watch again. Now that I am making the round to watch beginning to end when I want to watch a SW, I tend to go back to beginning just before the trilogy. Sad, hard to watch. Must have been hard for the supporting cast to do those episodes. They did a wonderful job,and paying tribute to "the scruff in the wellies"!:28:brendalovescompo

I often just skip the entire series, to be honest. The first four episodes because of Bill Owen's obvious declining health, the passing trilogy because of how emotional they are, and the last four because they were such a mis-step. I did watch the series last time through, but I'm getting close to that series again and I'm pretty sure I'll skip it again this time. A couple of the seasons after that are mostly complete on YouTube now so I watch those before I start over again.

but I'm getting close to that series again and I'm pretty sure I'll skip it again this time.

Same here Sarkus, it sound like everyone does the same thing when it comes to that series of episodes. I'm at Tarzan Topath,sorry not sure exact title and we were just mentioning how he is starting to look worn down, and his illness is close. :(

Time to hit the Blamires again:32:

Yeah, it seems like everyone skips those episodes. Who can blame them, though? The episodes are very well written and the actors did a good job, but there's still a lot of sadness there. It feels like losing a friend, which I'm sure is exactly how the actors felt.

Watched Just a Small Funeral tonight.

Probably the three best written/acted TV shows I
will ever see!! Reggie on the tractor, at the very end,
sez it all.

Watched Just a Small Funeral tonight.

Probably the three best written/acted TV shows I
will ever see!! Reggie on the tractor, at the very end,
sez it all.

Have to agree - despite the sadness some superb scripts and acting. The post funeral four are - words fail me!:(:(:(

The best out of them is the first one of the three, in my view.

Back