Vinyl Revival

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
After a 30 year hiatus I've fallen back in love with vinyl records again, following on the unexpected revival of this music format that I thought would be long since gone.
I've bought a new Technics turntable & it's been great fun visiting charity shops buying many of the albums I used to own in my youth.

It's bizarre in the age of streaming music that there is a renaissance in buying records, I'm guessing it may be because people like to physically own their music. Although you still get the crackles, I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is to sit though an entire album (rather than skipping through them on Spotify) and reading album covers.

Does anyone else still play vinyl ??

I don't have any vinyl or a record player. I have a lot of CDs which I like to play with the shuffle mode on so you never know which track will play next. You can't do that with vinyl records.

I do still have a turntable and a few records, not much room to place the turntable to play them, though I have my eyes on several nice reel to reel machines, not that I can afford one, just gives some idea what the prices are like, and maybe one day pick a nice one up really cheap

I too have an 80's Technic system which includes a turntable. I also have my original vinyl record collection which includes virtually the entire Fairport Convention set.
Just found it also includes Led Zepellin and Mamas and Papas!

I replaced nearly all of my vinyl with CDs. Until I lost the ability to hear music, my favorite was the entire Kingston Trio's output, closely followed by Judy Collins, Joan Baez, and Peter, Paul and Mary. I still have a few locally produced vinyl LPs and an old Radio Shack turntable.

It's reassuring to read there are a couple of owners of Technics equipment which has stood the test of time!

The money people will part with for high end turntables makes my mind boggle! This is over £100,000 and that's just for the deck you'll have to pay a similar amount again to match the speakers & amps etc !!!

It's reassuring to read there are a couple of owners of Technics equipment which has stood the test of time!

The money people will part with for high end turntables makes my mind boggle! This is over £100,000 and that's just for the deck you'll have to pay a similar amount again to match the speakers & amps etc !!!

When you are a bitcoin millionaire Barry you can treat yourself

I too have an 80's Technic system which includes a turntable. I also have my original vinyl record collection which includes virtually the entire Fairport Convention set.
Just found it also includes Led Zepellin and Mamas and Papas!
The rebranded group is now called Network port

Vinyl is the way to go in my opinion. I have all of my records from over the years. I get different equipment out now and again. Right now I have a Fisher head and turntable, run into Polk audio speakers, the ones made in Baltimore, before they sent the business to Mexico and ruined them..

Vinyl is the way to go in my opinion. I have all of my records from over the years. I get different equipment out now and again. Right now I have a Fisher head and turntable, run into Polk audio speakers, the ones made in Baltimore, before they sent the business to Mexico and ruined them..
I've hard of Polk, aren't they quite high end? The other US brand I envy after is Krell, I think they're uber high end.

I have quite a bit of Naim equipment, surprisingly they're still made in Salisbury in the UK. I'm guessing that most of their components are made in China though.

I have a Polk Audio 12" sub. Very happy with it but very low frequency audio can't really be played too loudly without risk of annoying the neighbours :20:Screenshot 2024-08-16 8.52.26 PM.png

I have no means to play them, but do have a couple of Summerwine records & a Tony Capstick album that I purchased as it had been signed by him.
i'm guessing you also have digital copies of them Graham? if not there are a few places that convert analogue formats to digital files for a small fee.

The whole experience of vinyl is second to none from reading the sleeve notes on the cover to the act of taking the record from the inner sleeve placing it on the deck , switching the turntable on and moving the needle arm and putting it onto the lead on groove , the sound is different but I would not be adding to my collection because the prices are way too high . So after paying my dues with vinyl, cassette and CD's its Spotify for me .

The whole experience of vinyl is second to none from reading the sleeve notes on the cover to the act of taking the record from the inner sleeve placing it on the deck , switching the turntable on and moving the needle arm and putting it onto the lead on groove , the sound is different but I would not be adding to my collection because the prices are way too high . So after paying my dues with vinyl, cassette and CD's its Spotify for me .
Yes I've also rediscovered the joy of reading an album sleeve as I'm listening to an album :) I also have a Spotify subscription, but I'm often too busy skipping from song to song whereas listening to a vinyl album that's not the case.

I initially thought buying vinyl was going to be expensive but HMV sells most new albums for £15 - £20, when I stopped buying them in the early 90's I was paying around £12,99. So taking into account inflation they're roughly the same or cheaper, plus you can buy secondhand records for around £3 or £4. That said you're right that they'll never be as cheap as an unlimited music streaming service for around a tenner a month. Very difficult to describe in words but I find he digital formats very clear and concise but vinyl has a 'warm' sound which cannot be recreated via streaming IMHO.

Back