Vinyl Revival

I've hard of Polk, aren't they quite high end? The other US brand I envy after is Krell, I think they're uber high end.

I have quite a bit of Naim equipment, surprisingly they're still made in Salisbury in the UK. I'm guessing that most of their components are made in China though.
Yes they are, it doesn't get much better in my opinion, as long as they're the Baltimore made. I have some three sided Advents, that are right smart too..

I picked this system up about twenty five years ago. Both cassette belts are still good which is amazing, everything else works apart from the record deck because the belt literally has turned to tar. The CD auto changer still works great too.

Attachments

• 455817439_8907458459271312_5777573487000848896_n (1).jpg
    455817439_8907458459271312_5777573487000848896_n (1).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 6
For anybody that lacks space, a really good sounding bookshelf system is the old Aiwa stuff. Good full sound, great speakers. They even made component pieces early on. I have a separate head unit, turn table, dual cassette, and speakers. I also have three shelf units of the older Aiwa. I should define older. They were originally made in Japan, and that is quality stuff. They farmed it out to China and the quality went down like a free breakfast in front of Compo. I buy all the Japanese pieces I see if they're in good condition, and find them homes. I see them in Goodwill. mission stores, yard sales. cheap. I found a beautiful Marantz head unit at a yard sale for $20. I about tore my pants pocket off getting the money out..

The local Friends of the Library are soliciting donations of vinyl records for their next semi-annual book sale. For years, they didn't accept vinyl because they couldn't give it away.
Same here, I occasionally help out for a local animal charity shop, several years back they were reluctant to accept vinyl. Now anything they get half decent is snapped up by collectors/speculators in a heartbeat. All you're left with is James Last & old Cliff Richard records, not passing opinion just stating a fact before anyone shouts at me......
:fp:

I picked this system up about twenty five years ago. Both cassette belts are still good which is amazing, everything else works apart from the record deck because the belt literally has turned to tar. The CD auto changer still works great too.
I always wanted that midi hifi system as a youngster, at the time that and the Technics were the Rolls Royce of their type. Had to make do with a Sanyo in the end. Glad to see it's still going, not sure how you'd get it fixed now if it broke. The Repair Shop perhaps :D

I had a dear friend and work colleague who sadly passed away a few years ago. He was the ethereal rocker , jeans , white tee shirt , long hair , earrings , long tatty overcoat and he bought himself a system by Linn . There was an upmarket music separates shop in Gateshead that sold them so we rocked up to buy his system , I was behind him but as we reached the door the staff came to the door and said pretty much the tradesmen's entrance is around the back in other words we don't want a scruffy herbert like you in hear touching the goods and wasting our time .

My friend was a cash man and he pulled out this huge bundle of notes he'd got from the bank and stated "I have the necessary conkers !" which of course changed their mind entirely and they were fawning over him . Had he been able to get them elsewhere he would told them where to shove it . Anyway he bought a few grands worth which they delivered and had an expert set it up .

Man the sound was incredible we used to take our albums to his on our days off few beers at the pub and go back and thrash the deck . He lived in a high population student area so the music blasting was the norm . He was a great guy who I greatly miss .

The anecdote is that the Linn factory is in Scotland and they invited you at the time as an owner to an open day where you could take albums and try out their latest products . My friend always took some our albums with him under his arm and played them there. I cant imagine what they thought because they would go from the sublime to the ridiculous Zappa to Ry Cooder .

I had a dear friend and work colleague who sadly passed away a few years ago. He was the ethereal rocker , jeans , white tee shirt , long hair , earrings , long tatty overcoat and he bought himself a system by Linn . There was an upmarket music separates shop in Gateshead that sold them so we rocked up to buy his system , I was behind him but as we reached the door the staff came to the door and said pretty much the tradesmen's entrance is around the back in other words we don't want a scruffy herbert like you in hear touching the goods and wasting our time .

My friend was a cash man and he pulled out this huge bundle of notes he'd got from the bank and stated "I have the necessary conkers !" which of course changed their mind entirely and they were fawning over him . Had he been able to get them elsewhere he would told them where to shove it . Anyway he bought a few grands worth which they delivered and had an expert set it up .

Man the sound was incredible we used to take our albums to his on our days off few beers at the pub and go back and thrash the deck . He lived in a high population student area so the music blasting was the norm . He was a great guy who I greatly miss .

The anecdote is that the Linn factory is in Scotland and they invited you at the time as an owner to an open day where you could take albums and try out their latest products . My friend always took some our albums with him under his arm and played them there. I cant imagine what they thought because they would go from the sublime to the ridiculous Zappa to Ry Cooder .
I was very close to buying a Linn system myself this time round, they and Naim are probably the best the UK produces. I actually preferred the sound of the Linn as it was crystal clear as you said and true audiophile quality, but my local hifi dealer wouldn't budge on the price of the Linn whereas the Naim dealer would.

I know to many this thread may be boring as middle age men discuss hifi's :D but I would encourage anyone to listen to their favorite piece of music on a high end system. You will hear detail in the song you will have never heard before no matter how many times you've heard it before.

Linn have their own ultra high definition digital radio channels which they use to showcase their systems. I like listening to Linn Jazz, even though I'm listening to it on a different system it sounds mighty good. I recall you saying you like Jazz CC, maybe worth a listen and also there are no adverts on it which is a bonus!!!

I helped the local milkman, and managed to earn enough to buy a deck that had a treble and bass knob. Playing Mungo Jerry's "Mighty Man" with the player plugged in and placed near the kitchen door so my mates could hear the booming racket. We couldn't afford daily newspapers to put on the floor and mam wouldn't let all the kids in the house. Whats more when dad rolled in from the pub at 3.00pm we were sternly told, "if thats not Mantervarni you can bloody turn it off". The first disappointment of the day was that my brother had borrowed my 33rpm single "In the Summertime" and left it on the school radiator and turned it into an ashtray.

Did anyone ever get taken in by the "Mugs eyeful " and buy an Amstrad system? :44:
I knew a famous England footballer, when I went over to his house to sort out his telephones, he asked me to look at his new hifi as he said the local dealer had set it up for him, but it did not sound that good. I was expecting something really tasty, the first thing I spotted in the room was a largish speaker, then spotted what looked like a rack system, to my horror it was an Amstrad system which was all in one boxed unit, made to look like a rack system, other than it was an Amstrad the balance was all on one side, after setting the balance it did sound as good as it was going to be and I was too polite to say it was bag of poop.

and the reward for producing that pile of crap , BBC give him a long running show and he is held in high esteem as a businessman that deserves to train up apprentices who are the future of business in this country :mad:

Back