What did he say?

Marianna

Dedicated Member
In Pâté and Chips, the scene in the pub after the trio has been ejected from the stately home, at roughly between 22 and 23 minutes, Compo says that he'll get Chip to run them home past what sounds like Cooperdike Woods. Does anyone have any idea exactly what he said, how to spell it and whether or not it's an actual place?

??????
Marianna

In the context of their having visited Upperdyke Hall, it might be Upperdyke Woods, but it still sounds slightly as though there's a K or hard C sound at the beginning of the word.

Marianna

In the context of their having visited Upperdyke Hall, it might be Upperdyke Woods, but it still sounds slightly as though there's a K or hard C sound at the beginning of the word.

Marianna

Having listened to the show tonight , I think it could be Gupperdyke Woods. and Hall. (Although I have to admit even with hearing aids my hearing is not what it was!) :30:

Thanks.

I just listened again to the first time the name is mentioned, in the cafe scene, and now I'm hearing a consonant at the beginning of the word. It certainly could be a G, but to my American ears it could also be a hard C. This is with the volume on my hearing aids turned up all the way. Until now, I hadn't heard a consonant on the name in that scene at all.

Marianna

Its kept the boys quiet for a few hours, you'll have to post more questions :16:

I wonder if I can get the twins interested in Summer Wine ??

I've done some searching put can't find any of those names listed anywhere except, I found a review of that episode that calls it Upperdyke Hall. Also a script posted on line that also uses Upperdyke Hall. But that same script says "Here, I'll get Chip to run us home past the woods." So I don't know that it can be relied on.

I've done some searching put can't find any of those names listed anywhere except, I found a review of that episode that calls it Upperdyke Hall. Also a script posted on line that also uses Upperdyke Hall. But that same script says "Here, I'll get Chip to run us home past the woods." So I don't know that it can be relied on.

I couldn't find the place name, either, so it's probably a product of Roy Clarke's imagination.

That's probably the same script that I have. I also have the very old paperback book of scripts from the first two seasons, but most of the scene in the cafe wasn't it the original script, nor was the conversation in the pub, so there's no guidance to be had there. Must have been added at the last minute when the director found that the episode was running short.

Marianna

Surprise!

I just turned a page in the paperback scripts and found that Roy Clarke specified Cannon Hall in a header to the paragraph setting the arrival scene. It's near Barnsley, between Cawthorne and High Hoyland. The name doesn't appear in the dialogs in his original script, so when the mentions of it were added they probably changed it to avoid stepping on any toes.

Marianna

Last edited:
It sounds like Cupperdyke Hall and Cupperdyke Woods.

Thought I'd check the book of scripts for Series One.

The stately home in the script is called Cannon Hall.

And in the actual programme the lengthy pub scene is drastically shorter than in the (original) script. The woods aren't mentioned, and Chip is at a microphone singing, accompanying himself on a guitar, much to Blamire's horror.

Just looked at the Cannon Hall web site. Both the house museum and the grounds look as though they'd make a lovely day out.

Marianna

wstol I would love to see that longer version. The US version doesn't have that. I could see Blamire rolling his eyes:30:

It's not a longer version.

The pub scene was originally written as a brief scene with Chip singing, and would probably have lasted less than a minute.

If it was made, and it probably wasn't it, it never made it to the screen.

It would seem the pub scene was made in the studio, after the exterior scenes were filmed, it was felt the show was running short, so this scene was added.

If the book of scripts published covering Series One is anything to go by, there's quite a few extra and deleted scenes for Series One.

A few years ago I posted some of the scenes that never made it to the screen from Series One, on the 'other' forum, which is now defunct. Most members of that eventually joined this forum.

It's well worth buying the book for the missing dialogue between Compo, Clegg and Blamire.

It's well worth buying the book for the missing dialogue between Compo, Clegg and Blamire.

Thank you , I may just look into that, would help since I love the use of subtittles as Compo would say, and I might add is need for myself being American and have a bit of trouble with the language in the first 2 series. Is that something that is readily available or you have to luck up on it on Ebay?

The book is called 'Last of the Summer Wine Scripts' by Roy Clarke. It was published by BBC in 1976.

It features the original scripts of the pilot episode and the complete Series One.

My copy is a dark grey paperback.

It regularly crops on e-bay.

Back