Compo's sandwich

I have always liked salad cream its a special taste but the boss wont let me buy it cause its fattening ,I think I am cuddly so I buy Branston pickle (she dose not like.:hungry: it)

I have always liked salad cream its a special taste but the boss wont let me buy it cause its fattening ,I think I am cuddly so I buy Branston pickle (she dose not like.:hungry: it)

Good substitute there Chris but cuddly is good, could you buy it and hide it in the shed, just nip out for a quick snifter now and then? ;)

Is the salad cream, similar to our Miracle whip here in the states? This would be for Marianne since you have been to UK.

Is the salad cream, similar to our Miracle whip here in the states? This would be for Marianne since you have been to UK.

Miracle Whip is thicker than salad cream and not as yellow; other than that, it's kind of the same idea. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_cream for detailed information and a list of US supermarkets that carry it; Publix, among others. My initial objection to what's generically called 'salad dressing' in this region was that it was invented as ersatz mayonnaise, meant to be sold to folks who couldn't afford the real thing and who couldn't make their own. When I tried it, I found that I disliked it so my initial objection was moot.

Marianna

Last edited:

From what I can research it seems to be similar but not the same has salad cream but maybe Index4u can say for sure if she's had it over here.

Miracle Whip is thicker than salad cream and not as yellow; other than that, it's kind of the same idea. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_cream for detailed information and a list of US supermarkets that carry it; Publix, among others. My initial objection to what's generically called 'salad dressing' in this region was that it was invented as ersatz mayonnaise, meant to be sold to folks who couldn't afford the real thing and who couldn't make their own. When I tried it, I found that I disliked it so my initial objection was moot.

Marianna

What was it about salad cream you didn't like Index? I suppose its an acquired taste, I used to have it on everything chips, cheese, all sandwiches and its lovely with chicken but Branston Pickle is better with chicken.

Salad cream has a slightly vinegary taste and as Pearl said it goes with everything I like it with chips and yes chicken is great with it.When I was a a very young man it was all there was mayonnaise was a foreign thing that only posh people had but salad was not salad without salad cream.

What was it about salad cream you didn't like Index? I suppose its an acquired taste, I used to have it on everything chips, cheese, all sandwiches and its lovely with chicken but Branston Pickle is better with chicken.

I'm used to mayonnaise, so the flavor of salad cream doesn't taste 'right' to me in combination with its texture.

Marianna

I'm used to mayonnaise, so the flavor of salad cream doesn't taste 'right' to me in combination with its texture.

Marianna

I think a lot for it has to do with what you're brought up on. My parents didn't like mayo so we had salad cream.

I think a lot for it has to do with what you're brought up on. My parents didn't like mayo so we had salad cream.

I'm sure you're right. My parents wouldn't buy salad dressing/cream because it started as fake mayonnaise when the ingredients for mayo were in short supply during the war. They objected to a 'fake' remaining on the market when it was no longer necessary.

Marianna

I'm sure you're right. My parents wouldn't buy salad dressing/cream because it started as fake mayonnaise when the ingredients for mayo were in short supply during the war. They objected to a 'fake' remaining on the market when it was no longer necessary.

Marianna

My dad was reminiscing about the Spam you sent over in the war, he still loves it and sausages in a tin that the teachers used to hand out :D

My dad was reminiscing about the Spam you sent over in the war, he still loves it and sausages in a tin that the teachers used to hand out :D

I think I've eaten Spam once. My mother broiled slices of it topped with pineapple and brown sugar. This was after we had eaten up all of the meat from the last hog we raised. I recall it tasting like salt and a strange mixture of spices. It was pretty awful.

Was your father a school child during the war? If so, even Spam and canned sausages probably were a treat.

Marianna

sausages in a tin:D

vienna sausages? My grandpa would take those on the boat for our lunch with saltine crackers, and tomato from garden if they were ripe. You would get tired of them , but now I wouldn't mind sharing one can with the old man. God Bless You Grandpa!! He would pronounce them vi-ennie, he was from Kentucky. Southern draw when he spoke.

I think I've eaten Spam once. My mother broiled slices of it topped with pineapple and brown sugar. This was after we had eaten up all of the meat from the last hog we raised. I recall it tasting like salt and a strange mixture of spices. It was pretty awful.

Was your father a school child during the war? If so, even Spam and canned sausages probably were a treat.

Marianna

Yes he was born in 1934, he has some stories to tell and he still has his sweet coupons. He said if theres another war he'll be ok for sweets :D

vienna sausages? My grandpa would take those on the boat for our lunch with saltine crackers, and tomato from garden if they were ripe. You would get tired of them , but now I wouldn't mind sharing one can with the old man. God Bless You Grandpa!! He would pronounce them vi-ennie, he was from Kentucky. Southern draw when he spoke.

I'm not sure to be honest, I'll ask him :)

They used to make something called salad dressing. It was in a jar and always next to the mayo in the store. It was like mayo except it had relish mixed in.

Spam was always best when it was fried!! :me: :29:

Especially in batter - spam fritters. Highly unhealthy as the SPAM was a mix of chopped ham and pork (although isn't ham a form of pig meat as is pork?)

I seem to recall having those for school lunch in the 1950s.:21: :21:

Back