Clegg the Driver

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Cleggy was the only driver in the early days if I recall. I think later Truly drove a few times. How many episodes did we see clegg driving in. Can anybody recall them.

The New Mobile Trio he drove cars in hopes of buying one.

In Who Made a Big Splash in Wales Then? he rented the car they drove to pick up Foggy.

Last edited:
The Flag and Further Snags he drove the commodore's car to fetch the flag pole.

Last edited:
Of course the back story to Uncle of the Bride is absolutely hysterical! For those of you not in the know, there was a moment where Cleggy was supposed to drive the car; the car was near the pond and Cleggy had trouble finding the correct gear, he ended up in Reverse which put the car into the pond. And Peter Sallis was supposed to (I think) reverse just a few feet or something like that. However, he got caught up in the moment and ran the car all the way into the water which was totally unscripted. Alan Bell was heard to shout, "Save the camera!!"

Of course the back story to Uncle of the Bride is absolutely hysterical! For those of you not in the know, there was a moment where Cleggy was supposed to drive the car; the car was near the pond and Cleggy had trouble finding the correct gear, he ended up in Reverse which put the car into the pond. And Peter Sallis was supposed to (I think) reverse just a few feet or something like that. However, he got caught up in the moment and ran the car all the way into the water which was totally unscripted. Alan Bell was heard to shout, "Save the camera!!"
Yes, he was just supposed to go a little ways and then stop so the stunt man could drive it into the pond. This was so wonderful though, to see the expressions on all of their faces. Peter should have been paid a bonus for that excellent footage.

Yes, he was just supposed to go a little ways and then stop so the stunt man could drive it into the pond. This was so wonderful though, to see the expressions on all of their faces. Peter should have been paid a bonus for that excellent footage.

Yeah, its great because we have to assume that the shot of them in the car was the actual shot when it happened as I remember Owen saying in the anniversary special that they refused to do the long shot later. It's amazing they stayed in character while sitting in a car that was filling up with water and that Sallis ad libbed that line.

Going to Gordon's Wedding.

We just assume that Clegg drives since he is the only one who has a drivers licence. We don't see who is driving, just that they all went to the hospital to get the wedding band!

Going to Gordon's Wedding.

We just assume that Clegg drives since he is the only one who has a drivers licence. We don't see who is driving, just that they all went to the hospital to get the wedding band!

Sorry Brenda but I think Little Malcolm drove. :)

He did? Did they show who was driving????

I'm not sure but he was fighting with his mate over the steering wheel so I think one of them was driving. You can hear them say, "Its this way" " No the other way is quicker" I'll watch it while I'm away and get the right wording.

He did? Did they show who was driving????
While on the way to the hospital, Eric tells Malcolm to turn down Denby Street.
And Foggy says "They are fighting over the wheel." He wouldn't have said they if Clegg was driving since he was talking to Clegg.

Last edited:
Back