Happiness in Single and Married Life

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Now everyone will be able to tell I am on my summer break as I am able to partake more in this forum. (enjoy it while it lasts, Pearl!) Now, between my morning and evening activities I am able to catch one or two airings of Summer Wine per day. Today I caught “Who Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales, Then?” I have only ever seen it once a long time back. It is one of those episodes that elude me. It inspired me to write this post.

Throughout my years of being in Summer Wine forums I have never read anyone writing about a strong under tone that I find in Summer Wine; Married Life vs. Single Life. I have always looked at the show as a statement glorifying retired single life while it usually showed married people as miserable (ex. Wally). Is it only me that sees this theme? If so, maybe I am misinterpreting it.

In “Who Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales, Then?, was Foggy happier with his lady friend than he was with the guys? Perhaps Clarke was trying to show a really dull life in that episode compared to Foggy’s usual escapades.

I also see a lot of similarities with this episode and the Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper. The dining room scene in Bathroom Caper reminded me of the scene in Wales when everyone is in the house having tea. The table where the single folk are Clegg, Compo, and the Mother in Wales was much livelier than Foggy with his lady. In Boarding House Caper, I was always struck over how the dining table with the trio seemed so much more fun than the able with Sid, Ivy, and Gordon. Also, Foggy’s friend’s mother reminded me a lot of the older waitress in that episode.

Of course, after the early years passed (along with these episodes and Wally Batty), the theme of married oppression was carried on by Howard. Clarke really showed the contrast between single and married life by placing Howard and Pearl’s home next to Clegg’s (where all the single guys gathered)
Am I crazy, or is there really something to this Summer Wine theme? It is just that I never read anyone post about it.

Now everyone will be able to tell I am on my summer break as I am able to partake more in this forum. (enjoy it while it lasts, Pearl!) Now, between my morning and evening activities I am able to catch one or two airings of Summer Wine per day. Today I caught “Who Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales, Then?” I have only ever seen it once a long time back. It is one of those episodes that elude me. It inspired me to write this post.

Throughout my years of being in Summer Wine forums I have never read anyone writing about a strong under tone that I find in Summer Wine; Married Life vs. Single Life. I have always looked at the show as a statement glorifying retired single life while it usually showed married people as miserable (ex. Wally). Is it only me that sees this theme? If so, maybe I am misinterpreting it.

In “Who Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales, Then?, was Foggy happier with his lady friend than he was with the guys? Perhaps Clarke was trying to show a really dull life in that episode compared to Foggy’s usual escapades.

I also see a lot of similarities with this episode and the Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper. The dining room scene in Bathroom Caper reminded me of the scene in Wales when everyone is in the house having tea. The table where the single folk are Clegg, Compo, and the Mother in Wales was much livelier than Foggy with his lady. In Boarding House Caper, I was always struck over how the dining table with the trio seemed so much more fun than the able with Sid, Ivy, and Gordon. Also, Foggy’s friend’s mother reminded me a lot of the older waitress in that episode.

Of course, after the early years passed (along with these episodes and Wally Batty), the theme of married oppression was carried on by Howard. Clarke really showed the contrast between single and married life by placing Howard and Pearl’s home next to Clegg’s (where all the single guys gathered)
Am I crazy, or is there really something to this Summer Wine theme? It is just that I never read anyone post about it.
I looked up that episode. I had never watched it before. It was so different than any other episode. I had never seen any of the guys want to be with a woman. ;D

Yes, I wonder if Roy was married, divorced or a confirmed bachelor. I agree with what you said. It does seem that he has shown the single life as much more adventurous. I did like the part where Compo was in the room dining with Foggy's friend's mother-in-law, and they ended up getting along very well. Foggy's fear was that she would throw him out.

It was a great episode and showed a different side of Foggy. I believe at the end though, Foggy preferred the life he was leading with the boys.

Yes, Roy Clarke was married. His wife Enid was very much a part of his writing career, often at the filming of Summer Wine in the early days. She died in 1993.

Much of what Roy Clarke portrayed in the series is what he observed while he was a policeman. Unfortunately, policemen, see a lot of the negative side of marriage when they respond to calls. Here is a quote from Andrew Vine's book when Roy is talking about his experience as a police officer in Rotherham:

"You'd go to these houses and meet these people, and the men were feckless, absolutely irresponsible, and you could see why. If they're working down this awful hole all day, what else are they going to do but have a drink, but their lives would have been in much more chaos if not time and time again there was at their house a woman who would be tearing strips off them. They kept the whole bloody show on the road, magnificent, and I do admire them. They're tougher than men, and I admire them. They're maybe better from a distance sometimes, but there's a strong streak of admiration in these comedy women of mine.

Also in Andrew Vine's book, Jane Freeman mentioned she was having a hard time with how chauvinistic the scripts were and wasn't sure whether it was fitting to promote this myth about women. "I can remember talking to Enid, Roy's lovely wife, about how awful Ivy was, and she said, 'O love, Ivy's me.'"

In many ways it appears to be a negative portrayal of marriage, but I think it still came through that these men didn't really want out of their marriages - at least not most of the time.
Wally once left Nora, but came back on his own. He also talks to the dog about Nora, and in spite of a few negative comments, he ends on a positive note for his marriage.

When Howard gets thrown out, he spends all his time trying to get Pearl to take him back.

They did envy the freedom their single counterparts had, but they weren't willing to give up their marriages for it.

Good to see you back Cod,I think some of the others will be glad you will be keeping me occupied for a while :D

Has for marriage, when it comes to Clegg he was married for a long time and I think all in all it was a happy marriage because the few times he has spoken about her it has been for the most part with sadness in his voice, remembering her fondly and only adding a little joke at the end to hide his sadness at losing her. Men like that don't usually go out looking for another woman. I think his wife was the only woman he felt comfortable with.

Compo on the other hand was more feckless with woman he saw them more as a means to an end ( If you know what I mean) Lets face it his father sounds to have been the same way and he never really had a father figure to show him the ropes. His love for Nora was more for play and refreshments, if she had have given him half a wink he'd have been out there like a rat up a drain pipe.

Foggy was the same I believe, I don't recall him ever mentioning his father?? I could be lying of cause and his mother sounded like the delicate type that mothered the masculinity out of him thus leaving him useless with women. I can see why he only really felt comfortable with men. He seemed to like a certain type of woman, probably like his mother, delicate and soft spoken like his friend in Wales and lets face it there were not many of those to the pound in Holmfirth!

Howard, Wally and Sid got what every man wants and good solid well built mother fighter who could cook,clean, mend and medicate them when needed. Ivy was more playful than shown on screen, just look at the black nighty seen in All Mod Conned, and I have a feeling that the others were too. The only thing those three moaned about was getting out to play more which is quite normal for men.

Woman like that don't like to see their husbands off playing because it gives the impression to other woman that they are not good wifes, its like keeping your steps clean and your house tidy, they have to have an obedient husband.

One of my favorite lines is. Three meals a day and all his thinking done for him. ;D

Cod I think yes he did add some comparisons single to married life to help set some story lines. I think having Howard and Clegg next door was a perfect setting. Howard salivating whenever the men when out for a drink, and he was stuck with his dust rag.:20:

It was different seeing that side of Foggy, you know with so many episodes, I suppose it was inevitable that one of them was to be seen in a different light.(in a relationship). Enchanted Evening was the closest Compo got. You know, after watching that again, I was somewhat put off by Compo wanting to take advantage of Nora! It didn't set in until after seeing a second time. He knew that Wally was coming back, and wanted to..... you know!:42: That was the one side I didn't care to see. What about Nora, she was leading him on!!! :16::rolleyes:

Sorry got off topic, that should have been a separate post.
I think the writers did a good job sticking on the topic of 3 unattached retired men, getting into their inventions, and escapades. The comparison with the married couples just make the trio escapades more enjoyable, and gave us the show that we all love so much!!:)

I enjoyed the info on Andrew Vine's book. I have to get it!

I have the paperback book but was looking for it on Kindle yesterday and can't find it. I know it used to be there. I wonder why they pulled it?

Marilyn

Barnes & Noble still has it in NOOK format. Very strange that it's no longer available for Kindle. E-books don't go out of stock!

Marianna

Barnes & Noble still has it in NOOK format. Very strange that it's no longer available for Kindle. E-books don't go out of stock!

Marianna

Its still available here on Kindle, I just checked. I don't see why you can't get it there!

Very interesting topic and one that I can personally relate to.

I lived a bachelor life until I was almost 40 then married; now my wife is in permanent residential care and I am effectively 'single' again. Both life styles have their pluses and minuses.

However even Blamire still was fond of the lady in Oswestry NAAFI and it seems disappeared to resume this friendship when he left; Foggy went off with the post lady and we never heard any complaints.

Clegg was fond of his wife - like wondering how she would react to him being redundant; Wally and Sid complained but were really comforted by the solid dependable women. Howard still needed Pearl when he was unwell - and when thrown out as already stated, only wanted to get back.

Freedom - yes but also loneliness: you have been out, but eventually you return to the house where you will be on your own and it is not necessarily every day that you go out, so that part of living alone was not in the show (normally does not make good TV although done a few times with Hancock).

Thus getting together with your mates, even if they are quite different in class, likes and dislikes, gives you companionship and thus the comedy!

But I have to go off now and do my housework :mad: :mad: >:( >:( :unhappy::unhappy:- ironing, cooking and other stuff that those with spouses can share!

Last edited:
Barmpot, we lost my mam 6 years ago dad has he radio on all day just to have another voice in the house. He said he sits and eats his meals alone and really misses someone to discuss things with even if its just the flavour of the gravy.

Bachelor life at Christmas time

And in the episodes with a Christmas theme, didn't the trio seem lost, bored, and lonesome?(other than the short one where Compo found The "orphans"). Cleggy would do the cooking, they exchanged gifts amongst themselves, but there seemed to always be a loneliness without a spouse to interact with or a family to visit. I beleive Clegg mentioned how he dreaded Christmas because it started so early. Maybe the pubs, stores, and library being closed threw their routines off a little.

And in the episodes with a Christmas theme, didn't the trio seem lost, bored, and lonesome?(other than the short one where Compo found The "orphans"). Cleggy would do the cooking, they exchanged gifts amongst themselves, but there seemed to always be a loneliness without a spouse to interact with or a family to visit. I believe Clegg mentioned how he dreaded Christmas because it started so early. Maybe the pubs, stores, and library being closed threw their routines off a little.

Yes quite likely, as everything was closed on a Sunday: licensing hours restricted, so not a lot to do. :30::30:Could go to a cinema but that was about all; no eating places open so had to cook for oneself. :unhappy::unhappy:

Brilliantly depicted in some of the radio versions of Hancock ....

Compo obviously did not think to much of marriage Clegg seemed to have been told he was getting married and as for Foggy no woman in her right mind would take him on! All the women were tough no nononsence people who were trained for marriage by the Herman Goering Div to grind their husbands into the dust.Roy Clarke understood how marriage worked and always made sure the lads had fun and the married ones being crushed into submission .Nora seemed very hard on Wally but she did love him and care for him as did the other women and Marina would look after any man who would let her!

Perhaps happiness as a single is relative to one's experience of marriage and the length of time one has been single. I was miserably married for a couple of years in my early twenties and have been living by myself since 1969, except for a few semesters in a dormitory as a late-blooming full time college student. I prefer the term 'by myself' rather than 'alone' because the second implies loneliness while the first implies enjoyment of my own company. I meet friends frequently to indulge in shared interests and I join up with groups for special interest holidays in the UK, so life is far from solitary. It would be pleasant to share the housework, but not worth the irritation of having someone else under the same roof all the time.

At Christmas Clegg seemed the saddest of the trio, possibly because his marriage had been good, and probably he cooked the dinner because he was the one who could cook. I don't recall whether we ever knew if Foggy, Seymour or Truly could cook. Blamire's lodgings apparently didn't include use of the kitchen so in his case the point is moot, and I wouldn't trust Compo's cooking to be wholesome.

Marianna

Yes quite likely, as everything was closed on a Sunday: licensing hours restricted, so not a lot to do. :30::30:Could go to a cinema but that was about all; no eating places open so had to cook for oneself. :unhappy::unhappy:

Brilliantly depicted in some of the radio versions of Hancock ....

"" Stone me, What a life !! :( :( ""

As you can see I am/was a Hancock fan ;D

Back