The Cafe

One additional observation about the cafe over the years....

It sure didn't seem to do much business. It was usually just the trio and their loose change for tea!

It sure didn't seem to do much business. It was usually just the trio and their loose change for tea!

I remember when Sid was around Ivy did catering upstairs.

it was busy on one occasion, can't remember the name of the episode but a rather big gentlemen had to pick Compo up so he could see if Foggy and Clegg were inside.

There was an organised party once, included Wally, some society whose name I've forgotten ..... earlier series

Arkwright's shop was the same.It never seemed too busy.
Maybe we only saw the quiet spells.

Arkwright's shop was the same.It never seemed too busy.
Maybe we only saw the quiet spells.
#

Bingo, Exactly what I was going to say, although I think Arkwrights shop struggled more than the cafe did for trade. There were a few times when Ivy mentioned that "You get the rush out of the way and just want to put your feet up and in come 3 right dillops" or words to that effect. I think we saw the down periods in the cafe for maximum impact from the trio plus assorted barmpots.

There was the Sweet Smell of Excess episode when the trio walked in to a full cafe, but because Compo had been in the sewer it soon emptied.

I think that when the Cafe was full to the brim was when a coach stopped for a rest and a cuppa....

and in The Loxley when Crusher throws them out because they have more than 6 customers.

My vote would go to Barry and Glenda although i wouldnt want to see her as stern as Ivy but still firmly in command,so to speak. ;D..On the other hand it might be fun to bring in two new charcters with similar personalities as Ivy and Sid.Both could give as good as the other just like Sid and Ivy in the early series. ;D

Hector.

My vote would go to Barry and Glenda although i wouldnt want to see her as stern as Ivy but still firmly in command,so to speak. ;D..On the other hand it might be fun to bring in two new charcters with similar personalities as Ivy and Sid.Both could give as good as the other just like Sid and Ivy in the early series. ;D

Hector.

Yeah, I could go with that mate.

The cafe was like all businesses it probably lurched from profit to just breaking even but Ivy did do outside catering Greenacres was one place.Nora sat on boxes in Crushers car was one of the most memorable sights ,Sid and Ivy also did a nice line in chicken salads the Bullocks ate very well.The fish and chip van was probably put out of business by the local health board ,would you want to eat anything prepared in it!Often wondered what bus was converted into the chip van anybody know?

The cafe was like all businesses it probably lurched from profit to just breaking even but Ivy did do ....Often wondered what bus was converted into the chip van anybody know?

Looks like a standard 1960s single decker, arly one-man operated, such as were used in Manchester - about 27'6" or possibly 30' 0" and 7' 6" wide. The reason I say Manchester is they were red that faded to a lighter shade so not so far out and they had some of that style. Others were the AEC Regal as favoured by London Transport (their RF series) I suspect the interior of the van shots are studio based and it was probably just an old bus suitably adapted on the exterior only.

This could have been a Leyland Leopard, AEC Merli with MCW coachwork or similar if it was from a provincial bus operator.

Back