The Summerwine.net music thread

Mel Torme and Marty Paich (father of Toto's David Paich (Africa, Stranger in Town)). What a banger!

In 'Set the People Free', Compo heads up to Nora's place armed with flowers and chocolates and sings a song to distract Nora while Wally makes his getaway to the boat awaiting below. The song begins with something about a spider and a fly. I know I have heard this song somewhere, but I just can't place it. Can anyone tell me the title? Thank you!

In 'Set the People Free', Compo heads up to Nora's place armed with flowers and chocolates and sings a song to distract Nora while Wally makes his getaway to the boat awaiting below. The song begins with something about a spider and a fly. I know I have heard this song somewhere, but I just can't place it. Can anyone tell me the title? Thank you!
Will give it a view/listen and see if I can assist.
===================================
Last of the Sunshine Pop. Exhibit 3 (and probably the last). My favourite Cowsills song.

Talking of songs that Compo sang: There's one in the Glory Hole when Foggy tells Compo he's in charge of entertainment. "There was a man who had a wife and she was double jointed etc." Was that a real song too, or something Compo made up on the spot?

Will give it a view/listen and see if I can assist.
Thanks Onslow for your efforts on my behalf, but that isn't the song. The song in the episode starts out something like "Won't you come into my parlor said the spider to the fly". I expect that after the first stanza, the lyrics that Compo sang were customized, to suit the occasion, and suit it well they did :). All the time he was singing it, he was trotting around carrying the chocolates and flowers. I am thinking this was a creation/adaptation of Ronnie Hazelhurst, it had that feeling about it.

Early on, the Stones did a song about a spider and a fly, but it was a bluesy thing, but that wasn't it

In the wollenmills of my mind, I believe there was a poem about the spider and fly originally.

Weird thing this internet AI.

Trying to play the two small snippets from the episode in Google song match. The closest (as in 10% probability) is this song that has the same cadence but is obviously way off.

I jotted down what lyrics I could make out and "sang" them into google's song match as well which of could pulled up a bunch of goth or rap songs : )

These doesn't appear to be mention of "chocolates" or "twinkle" in my eye" in the original poem. I too suspect (as there is orchestration added) that Compo's melody is based on a bespoke piece by Mr. Hazelhurst to fit the needs of the episode.

I jotted down what lyrics I could make out and "sang" them into google's song match as well which of could pulled up a bunch of goth or rap songs : )

These doesn't appear to be mention of "chocolates" or "twinkle" in my eye" in the original poem. I too suspect (as there is orchestration added) that Compo's melody is based on a bespoke piece by Mr. Hazelhurst to fit the needs of the episode.
Again, Thanks for your efforts!!

There was a song. I think it was a song for kids. Think about our 'Itsy Bitsy Spider Went Up the Waterspout' song. I went back into the wollenmills of my own rusty mind and remembered that the poem I mentioned was actually a nursery rhyme. Armed with that, I went to Google and found it was written by Mary Howitt. Someone took this poem and put it to music. Then another someone took it (probably Ronnie Hazelhurst or maybe even Roy Clarke) and changed the lyrics to suit the script. I am curious who initially put this nursery rhyme to music and what the song was called.

If you read the last line in the first paragraph "For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again". At the end of that line, in the Summerwine modified version, is where Compo sang "in her vest" in a deep voice. Follow the cadence of the poem.

Mary Howitt was an English Poet. Somebody over there must remember the nursery rhyme or the song.

1724782616642.png

Talking of songs that Compo sang: There's one in the Glory Hole when Foggy tells Compo he's in charge of entertainment. "There was a man who had a wife and she was double jointed etc." Was that a real song too, or something Compo made up on the spot?
To me, it sounds like the first line of a limerick. You can instantly see where it is going, just like the one about the girl from Nantucket.

I would not have found this next one but for John's one above.
Barney is the banjo player in Johns song, so please be patient and wait for this amazing solo

Back