All That Glitters Is Not Elvis - Cringe worthy moments?

I will quote a black man that I worked with a few years back about something similar to this. My kids call black children African American and when the heard me speak of someone of the black race they looked at me as if I called them the N word. Which is what we were discussing. He agreed. We were kids of the late 60
and 70's. He said he was called a black person. His father was called a Negro, and his father was a N&^%r. "That is just the sign of the times, and you cannot change it". He didn't care to be called an African American,cause he wasn't from Africa,he was black as I am white.

I am not politically correct but I treat everyone as a human being. What would the PC police think of "All in the Family" and Archie Bunker if it was aired today.

I was in Holmfirth in 2007 and heard a lot of startlingly non-PC speech from respectable-looking people. One of them was a native of the area; some of the others worked in shops so they probably were, too. I'm afraid that the 2008 shows might be very representative of that place and time.

Marianna

That may well be true, sad if it is, but I meant more that LOTSW had become behind the times in terms of comedy and what modern audiences want to see.

One of the reasons I made the original post really is that, as a big fan of the show, when I watch some of the later series I hope to see something that shows the BBC were wrong to cancel it and that the public were wrong to call for several years for it to be axed. Now my main feeling when watching a joke like, `The Japanese love to commit suicide` isn`t one of being truly offended or anything but it is more to cringe because it is so old, corny and unfunny. The lack of laughter from the audience only emphasizes that.

Many of the most successful comedies of recent years (The Office, Alan Partridge, Peep Show, Phoenix Nights etc.) have been politically incorrect but, all importantly, the context has been very different. And, equally importantly, they have been funny. ;)

I think, and I mean this with the utmost respect to all, that it is partly a generational thing and the fact that Roy Clarke and Alan Bell were in their 70s by this point comes across on screen. As the BBC are putting their faith in new comedy in 84 year old Roy Clarke`s hands with the new series of Open All Hours though I could be completely wrong. :42:

I think this has been a really good thread. Its had people talking and that's how we learn what some people find acceptable and what's not. I don't know of one single person this forum who is out to unset or belittle another member so when a thread like this comes up its for discussion purposes and not to offend.

Times have changed but if this means we have think twice before we can have an opinion and express it then its not always for the better. I think we all know that saying certain things is not on but how are we going to know that if we can't talk about it. If anyone wants to be offended then you should watch Love Thy Neighbour or Till Death they would have the PC brigade having meltdowns.

Last edited:
I have been out for a few days and have just read this thread this whole thread. Allow me to add my 2 cents worth but I hope I don't ruffle any feathers.

I don't think anything of the suicide comment. It was just silly talk. However, I do see the slanting of eyes as a little offensive (but certainly not enough to not watch that episode.

As an American, I find any slight shots at America to be very funny.

Of course, one has to look at the big picture with Summer Wine. It started as an edgy comedy that wasn't for everyone. When it became a family oriented comedy, that is when a new set of standards came in where one wouldn't expect crude remarks and actions to be made.

Anyway Nicko, I vote this is a good topic and thread.

I have been out for a few days and have just read this thread this whole thread. Allow me to add my 2 cents worth but I hope I don't ruffle any feathers.

I don't think anything of the suicide comment. It was just silly talk. However, I do see the slanting of eyes as a little offensive (but certainly not enough to not watch that episode.

As an American, I find any slight shots at America to be very funny.

Of course, one has to look at the big picture with Summer Wine. It started as an edgy comedy that wasn't for everyone. When it became a family oriented comedy, that is when a new set of standards came in where one wouldn't expect crude remarks and actions to be made.

Anyway Nicko, I vote this is a good topic and thread.

Just to welcome you home Cod I agree with you but don't get used to it :29: ;)

What about the the "Bog off you Chinese Twit" line. Where does that one rank
;)

Thanks for mentioning this line as I had wondered a few days ago about which episode Benedict Wong had appeared in. I watched this again today for the first time in ages and think this is a cracking episode. The line that you mentioned was very cleverly done and worked well getting a big laugh.

In contrast, watching Merry Entwistle and Jackson Day alongside it showed how the quality nosedived over the years and it also had the following exchange between the policemen:

"Do you think Father Christmas looks drunk?"
"I think he looks worse than that."
"German?"

Now I don`t find this offensive but it is noticeable that it doesn`t get any real reaction at all from the audience which again is an indication of how dated this style of joke had become by this time (2005). Back in the 70s and 80s mentioning any other nation would probably have been enough to get a laugh but it just seems tired and out of place in this context.

Thanks for mentioning this line as I had wondered a few days ago about which episode Benedict Wong had appeared in. I watched this again today for the first time in ages and think this is a cracking episode. The line that you mentioned was very cleverly done and worked well getting a big laugh.

In contrast, watching Merry Entwistle and Jackson Day alongside it showed how the quality nosedived over the years and it also had the following exchange between the policemen:

"Do you think Father Christmas looks drunk?"
"I think he looks worse than that."
"German?"

Now I don`t find this offensive but it is noticeable that it doesn`t get any real reaction at all from the audience which again is an indication of how dated this style of joke had become by this time (2005). Back in the 70s and 80s mentioning any other nation would probably have been enough to get a laugh but it just seems tired and out of place in this context.

Just because I'm being noisy you understand I was wondering where are you from?

This post is getting silly. What about "The white mans grave" or is that not PC as well.:unhappy:

Agree with Happy Jack not worth a reply

Noted this thread has done a Topsy whilst I was not looking. It has really sprouted. My initial thought was as suggested by the above two venerable gentlemen.

Being blunt, my attitude is very much that so called 'political correctness' has been taken far too far. It now amounts to censorship, essentially. Now, to be clear, I have no tolerance of any form of discrimination. But, believe me, that intolerance extends to so-called 'positive discrimination' which I consider an insult to minorities and unjust to the majority.

I recall Sir John Wolfenden, later Lord Wolfenden being guest of honour at our school prize-giving in 1958 (or was it 1959). It was at the height of the debate over comprehensive education. I always recall one of his lines. It was asserted by those in favour of comprehensive education that failure to get into grammar school could result in an inferiority complex. Sir John's comment - 'One has to accept that those with an inferiority complex are invariably inferior'. Very politically incorrect, maybe even then, but it does have an element of truth.

I am rambling - and remember my initial thought. I got one of those emails yesterday - from a friend who does not have a single discriminatory bone in her body. It is a list of potential Tommy Cooper jokes. I was half-minded to feed it into the 'Jakes Bad or Good thread' but it seems to fit here. On reflection, my only reservation was over those where there might be a hint of mocking the disabled. See what you think:

Subject: Tommy Cooper Lives, or examples of British Humour !!

The Grim Reaper came for me last night, and I beat him off with a vacuum cleaner. Talk about Dyson with death.

I went to the cemetery yesterday to lay some flowers on a grave. As I was standing there I noticed 4 grave diggers walking about with a coffin, 3 hours later and they’re still walking about with it. I thought to myself, they've lost the plot!!

My daughter asked me for a pet spider for her birthday, so I went to our local pet shop and they were £70!!! Blow this, I thought, I can get one cheaper off the web.

I was at an ATM yesterday when a little old lady asked if I could check her balance, so I pushed her over.

I start a new job in Seoul next week. I thought it was a good Korea move.

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

My neighbour knocked on my door at 2:30am this morning, can you believe that, 2:30am?! Luckily for him I was still up playing my Bagpipes.

Paddy says "Mick, I'm thinking of buying a Labrador ...
"Bugger that" says Mick "have you seen how many of their owners go blind?

I saw a poor old lady fall over today on the ice!! At least I presume she was poor - she only had £1.20 in her purse.

My girlfriend thinks that I’m a stalker. Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet.

I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified.

A wife says to her husband you're always pushing me around and talking behind my back.
He says what do you expect? You're in a wheelchair.

Two Muslims have crashed a speedboat into the Thames barrier in London. Police think it might be the start of Ram-a-dam.

Sat opposite an Indian lady on the train today, she shut her eyes and stopped breathing. I thought she was dead, until I saw the red spot on her forehead and realised she was just on standby.

They’ve had to cancel the panto 'Jack & the Beanstalk' in Birmingham ,Bristol, Oldham, Bradford, Burnley, Leicester, Luton and London. Apparently the giant couldn't smell any Englishmen.

The wife was counting all the 1p’s and 2p's out on the kitchen table when she suddenly got very angry and started shouting and crying for no reason. I thought to myself, "She's going through the change."

When I was in the pub I heard a couple of plonkers saying that they wouldn’t feel safe on an aircraft if they knew the pilot was a woman. What a pair of sexists. I mean, it’s not as if she’d have to reverse the bloody thing!

Bought some ‘rocket salad’ yesterday but it went off before I could eat it!

A teddy bear is working on a building site. He goes for a tea break and when he returns he notices his pick has been stolen.
The bear is angry and reports the theft to the foreman. The foreman grins at the bear and says, ”Oh, I forgot to tell you, today’s the day the teddy bears have their pick nicked."

Murphy says to Paddy "What ya talkin to an envelope for?"
"I'm sending a voicemail ya thick sod!"

Just got back from my mate's funeral. He died after being hit on the head with a tennis ball. It was a lovely service.

19 paddies go to the cinema, the ticket lady asks "Why so many of you?"
Mick replies, "The film said 18 or over."

An Asian fellow has moved in next door. He has travelled the world, swum with sharks, wrestled bears and climbed the highest mountain.
It came as no surprise to learn his name was "Bindair Dundat".

No virus found in this message.

I do like 'Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.' Leads me to something on Facebook today:

10352768_790285910991097_7993170269737527671_n_zpsab47b365.jpg

And that's me in trouble with the distaff side!

AGAIN.

And if you want to belong to the most persecuted minority, join me as someone with even a hint of English blood in Scotland, particularly at this time of the ridiculously long drawn out period of the referendum debate.

Zebedee time:

zebedee_zps50a86db6.png

And in response to somebody, thought 'Merry Entwhistle and Jackson Day' superb. Nothing stale about it at all. Some of dialogue, particularly Clegg and Truly with snooker cue containers down their trousers, was brilliant and up amongst best written by Roy Clarke.

But would I be controversial?

:41: :41: :41: :41: :41: :41:

And in response to somebody, thought 'Merry Entwhistle and Jackson Day' superb. Nothing stale about it at all. Some of dialogue, particularly Clegg and Truly with snooker cue containers down their trousers, was brilliant and up amongst best written by Roy Clarke.

But would I be controversial?

:41: :41: :41: :41: :41: :41:

These board is all about people having different opinions and I`m glad if somebody enjoyed that episode.

I don`t think many younger comedy fans would be offended by the Tommy Cooper style jokes at all. They would just think they were older than all of Summer Wine`s cast combined. :wink:

I think political correctness has been exaggerated and that comedy can still make jokes about any subject depending on the context.

For example. the jokes about Germans and Japanese in 2005 and 2006 don`t get a laugh in LOTSW because they are old and there is no wit or creativity in the writing.

Contrast them with the line Michael Caine uttered in Austin Powers which is seen as something of a classic:

`There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other peoples' cultures...and the Dutch!`

A lot more intelligent than any stupid Irishmen jokes or single entendre German reference imo.

Context and intelligence is a lot more important than political correctness. That`s why Chris Morris can make successful comedy TV shows and movies about child abuse and terrorism, whereas old fashioned comedians like Stan Boardman disappeared from view decades ago.

These board is all about people having different opinions and I`m glad if somebody enjoyed that episode.

Contrast them with the line Michael Caine uttered in Austin Powers which is seen as something of a classic:

`There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other peoples' cultures...and the Dutch!`

That's on similar lines as Cleggy's Welsh remarks is it not??

There`s 295 episodes Dick, you`ll have to remind me. ;D

There s no one episode that springs to mind Nicko but in several throw away remarks over the series . "I bet he was Welsh" "I'm not going to Wales " that's the things I was thinking of, sorry if I gave the wrong impression. :-[

There s no one episode that springs to mind Nicko but in several throw away remarks over the series . "I bet he was Welsh" "I'm not going to Wales " that's the things I was thinking of, sorry if I gave the wrong impression. :-[

No problem Dick. I may be misunderstanding you but I`m not sure how these comments are similar to the Michael Caine line that I mentioned and you quoted.

Personally, being from Wales, I have enjoyed some of the jokes about the Welsh from the classic episodes. If there were any made in the 2000s then I can`t remember seeing them but maybe I would enjoy them less...

No problem Dick. I may be misunderstanding you but I`m not sure how these comments are similar to the Michael Caine line that I mentioned and you quoted.

Personally, being from Wales, I have enjoyed some of the jokes about the Welsh from the classic episodes. If there were any made in the 2000s then I can`t remember seeing them but maybe I would enjoy them less...

I got the impression over the years that Clegg appeared to have some thing against Wales and the Welsh .Similar to Michael Caines character had agaist the Dutch! :eek:

Back