All That Glitters Is Not Elvis - Cringe worthy moments?

Cigarettes and alsatians behind the counter? ......................... Arr those were the days :D Weren't as many infections and diseases going round in those days.

Yes the elfin safe tee person was only a gleam in a bureaucrat's eye! Marvellous sandwiches - sausage, bacon and egg in a breadcake (as was the term for Leeds or Wakefield) or in Bradford (and Holmfirth, Halifax) a teacake!
:37::37::37:

Which gets me back to language - the following rules applied in 1970s:
Leeds - breadcake was plain, with currants a teacake

Bradford - teacake was plain, with currants currant teacake.

I believe, but not entirely sure that barmcake was the Lancashire term for plain one.:confused::confused:

Cigarettes and alsatians behind the counter? ......................... Arr those were the days :D Weren't as many infections and diseases going round in those days.

We could not afford infections back then Pearl :D

This thread does so remind me of this old one (in a most pleasant way):

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem . You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! What do you think of this e-mail I received? Any truth in it? You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

:14: :14: :14:

In contrast, watching Merry Entwistle and Jackson Day alongside it showed how the quality nosedived over the years and it also had the following exchange between the policemen:

"Do you think Father Christmas looks drunk?"
"I think he looks worse than that."
"German?"

Now I don`t find this offensive but it is noticeable that it doesn`t get any real reaction at all from the audience which again is an indication of how dated this style of joke had become by this time (2005). Back in the 70s and 80s mentioning any other nation would probably have been enough to get a laugh but it just seems tired and out of place in this context.

Going right back, I think what I objected to most here was not the criticism of the policemen's badinage (which, as far as I am concerned having re-watched the episode, got a perfectly satisfactory audience response) was that assertion that the quality had nosedived over the years. Until Peter Sallis had to take a backseat Clarke was still putting brilliant lines in Clegg's mouth (essentially up to the sad Hobbo era).

And I can well imagine Roy Clarke being intelligent enough to have registered the link between Germans and Father Christmas.

Going right back, I think what I objected to most here was not the criticism of the policemen's badinage (which, as far as I am concerned having re-watched the episode, got a perfectly satisfactory audience response) was that assertion that the quality had nosedived over the years. Until Peter Sallis had to take a backseat Clarke was still putting brilliant lines in Clegg's mouth (essentially up to the sad Hobbo era).

And I can well imagine Roy Clarke being intelligent enough to have registered the link between Germans and Father Christmas.

It`s all about opinions though isn`t it. Surely the lifeblood of any message board is conflicting opinions about a show and what worked and what didn`t.

The introduction of Hobbo might not have worked for the show but I don`t think LOTSW was in the rudest of health before that anyway. I think the decline had been occurring for several years due to the changing cast and the scripts not being as sharp as they once were (the two things NOT being mutually exclusive). The show had also become a cross between a sitcom and a sketch show which did it no favours imo.

There are still some good episodes in the later years but there are also episodes that are weaker than anything that had gone before imo.

Other opinions welcome. :)

If we changed "Japs" to "Japanese", that would be okay then. Or will we soon forbidden to talk about what they did in WWII ? - The argument about "Japs" is totally insignificant when placed alongside their atrocities in Burma.

If we changed "Japs" to "Japanese", that would be okay then. Or will we soon forbidden to talk about what they did in WWII ? - The argument about "Japs" is totally insignificant when placed alongside their atrocities in Burma.

There hasn`t been an argument about "Japs".

Japs

Yes, there HAS been an argument about Japs and Japanese. It was message No 19. My answer to it has for some unknown reason appeared half a mile down the road !
Maybe I clicked in the wrong box. Who knows ?

Last edited:
Yes, there HAS been an argument about Japs and Japanese. It was message No 19. My answer to it has for some unknown reason appeared half a mile down the road !
Maybe I clicked in the wrong box. Who knows ?

But that wasn`t an argument. I made the point that the use of the word `Japs` was acceptable then but wouldn`t be now. Obviously now people would use the word Japanese but any current day sitcom would be unlikely to include a man who had fought in the war so the context would probably be different.

This thread does so remind me of this old one (in a most pleasant way):

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem . You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! What do you think of this e-mail I received? Any truth in it? You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
:14: :14: :14:

Oh so true, thank you Big Unc!!!:41::hungry::pc:

I first encountered Barm Cake during my University days in Manchester from 1960 to 1963. To be clear it was a form of bread roll with a strong, distinctive yeasty flavour. I really liked them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barm_cake

I remember going shopping for my mum in our village when I was 6 or 7 and being told to ask for 2oz of barm. I was surprised when they got it from a box/packet marked yeast. This was in Notts, my mum originated in Derbyshire. ??? I don't know where she got the name from .Just did as I was told then.

Back