Summer Wine A-Z Game

• Thread starter Thread starter jrt2345
  • Start date Start date
En guard, varlet. Don't you call me Violet!
I have been trying to figure out this conversation for a while. When Compo spoke I actually couldn't hear anything but "Unguard Violet" but I knew that wasn't right. I am so compulsive I kept rewinding it....I am a bit of a nut...anyway what is a "varlet"?

I have been trying to figure out this conversation for a while. When Compo spoke I actually couldn't hear anything but "Unguard Violet" but I knew that wasn't right. I am so compulsive I kept rewinding it....I am a bit of a nut...anyway what is a "varlet"?

1. varlet - a deceitful and unreliable scoundrel
(knave, rapscallion, rascal, rogue, scalawag, scallywag, scoundrel, villain - a wicked or evil person; someone who does evil deliberately)

2. varlet - in medieval times a youth acting as a knight's attendant as the first stage in training for knighthood - a page
(attendant, attender, tender - someone who waits on or tends to or attends to the needs of another)

[1425–75; late Middle English < Middle French; variant of valet.]

You haven't watched enough swashbuckling films. En guard is like ey up, lol. I want your attention. To be fair I am about to run you through.

Back