Summer Wine Decanted

Finally watched the Last Drop saved it for a rainy day and boy today is a doozy . How fitting to end with the three key people, Presenter, Cameraman and Founder of our great site . Thank you so so much for a really informative and entertaining series roll on KUA.

NB

If you will indulge me , after hearing your Sir Norman Wisdom story about the cherry picker I have a little story of my own. As an avid Newcastle fan I never missed going in my early years and we played a game against Manchester United[poignantly] where Sir Norman was the guest of honour . Half time arrives an out he comes dressed in full kit bouncing an imaginary football swiftly followed by all sorts of antics culminating in the award of a penalty after he did his trademark trip in the box falling to the ground. He of course steps up to take it [with the imaginary ball] scores and sets off running around celebrating to the cheers of 40,000 plus fans . Suddenly a guy in a morning suit arrives with bowler hat to get him off the pitch and 40,000 fans shout out "Oh Oh here comes Mr Grimsdale" It is a treasured moment that will stay with me forever. :)

.. don't forget the out-takes video!

I saved it for a sunny day instead which we have for now all I can say is

So many stand out bits , the mention of the stuntmen followed by you stumbling , the losing battles against the wind especially around 5 mins 29 secs . Certain words are so difficult for example Kirkcaldy was the centre of Linoleum production but it waned terribly because people couldn't say it , they'd go into a shop and ask for a loll or Rinoleum or a roll of minoleum get frustrated and just say " give us a carpet " [courtesy of Billy Connolly]

Well done both of you for your dedication and perseversense purseverence persiverance sticking with it. I imagine it gave you even greater admiration of the work Alan J W Bell and the crew did.

I saved it for a sunny day instead which we have for now all I can say is
So many stand out bits , the mention of the stuntmen followed by you stumbling , the losing battles against the wind especially around 5 mins 29 secs . Certain words are so difficult for example Kirkcaldy was the centre of Linoleum production but it waned terribly because people couldn't say it , they'd go into a shop and ask for a loll or Rinoleum or a roll of minoleum get frustrated and just say " give us a carpet " [courtesy of Billy Connolly]
Well done both of you for your dedication and perseversense purseverence persiverance sticking with it. I imagine it gave you even greater admiration of the work Alan J W Bell and the crew did.
Thank you Capt'n...
I know the crew had some very similar experiences to me .. .but not saved and displayed for everyone to see!
It happened again today... just a wew fords up mixed ...

Following the recent news of the passing of Alan J. W. Bell, Peter and I thought it only right to honour him in a short video.

Remembering Alan J. W. Bell

This video takes a brief look at his career in television production from 1958, including producing and directing 250 episodes of “Last of the Summer Wine”. The video will be available today, 4 November 2023 at 2:00pm (GMT)

My 92 year-old father has recently been diagnosed with dementia. I know it is easy to say "I knew ..." but he has had cognitive issues for about 2 years. His wife, who is not my mother, refused to acknowledge his problems and his diagnosis was delayed. He is now being well looked after in a care home. If you are not sure, you will not be wasting your doctor's time - early diagnosis does help.

Dementia: NHS UK Dementia information

Last edited:
So so sorry to hear about your Father's health issues, thankfully for immediate and future generations Dementia awareness campaigns are now out in the open and prevalent in the news, all of which must surely help enormously because not long ago it seemed to be the hidden unspoken illness that was never mentioned and buried . Thank you for your tribute to the great Alan JW Bell I look forward to viewing it.

I understand that Dora Bryan had to leave LOTSW as she had dementia and couldn't remember her lines. I'm fairly sure this is true but I'm sure Terry can confirm if I'm wrong.
I had never heard that mentioned Barry, but it could well be the case

Just found this on her obituary from one of the papers so I think this was the case, so sad I loved her character;

In 2005, her role in Last Of The Summer Wine came to an end. She was not asked back. It was rumoured that her increasing difficulty in memorising lines was causing too many retakes.

It's such a cruel illness and I just sincerely hope that whoever gets it in a severe way never shares the pain it's causing others as one small mercy. Lost for Words deserved all it's awards and more, it was truly brilliant and had so much to say portrayed excellently but like Summer Wine dealt with it warm heartedly.

Just finished watching the series. What a lot of hard work you and the camera man have done Leigh. The bloopers episode gave me more laughs than all the episodes of the show combined. It was wonderful to hear from Terry about his very small role in the show. If I had been asked to have a small part in the show I would have been asking how much do they want me to pay them. The tribute to Alan J W Bell was absolutely wonderful.

Just finished watching the series. What a lot of hard work you and the camera man have done Leigh. The bloopers episode gave me more laughs than all the episodes of the show combined. It was wonderful to hear from Terry about his very small role in the show. If I had been asked to have a small part in the show I would have been asking how much do they want me to pay them. The tribute to Alan J W Bell was absolutely wonderful.
Thank you Adrian. We had some long / tiring / frustrating days, filming! I didn't write anything funny for me to say, I leave that to the experts, but even I enjoyed watching the out-takes video! A lot of the video series would not have been possible without Terry's background knowledge.
Peter and I, of course, could not have anticipated making the tribute to Alan Bell, just after ending our series of videos, but felt that it was important to document his passing.

The first time we were offered this little part we did say we did not want payment, but they insist and you have to sign for it, this covers the fact you can then not go after the BBC for any repeat fees.

If you saw the link on this thread recently, or if you watched "The Last Drop" then you will already know about this bonus video. It will be made fully public on Monday 13 November at 7pm (GMT) - so if you have not yet seen it, you still have a chance to see it and boast, "I saw it before everyone else"!

The bonus "out-takes" video:

Like me I'm sure you can blame Victoria Wood for forgetting how to say millennium!!!

Hope you're not offended when I say this was my favorite video of yours, I had a good chuckle throughout and clearly you're human and not an AI robot :p :p :p

Our beloved show got a mention on BBC Breakfast , they had a reporter at the Picturedome whose restoration is now complete . The owner was interviewed said it was expensive to restore something like £400 a square foot in the end . Reporter ended by saying it was a beautiful restoration and Compo and Nora Batty would be proud.

Back