Summer Wine Decanted

One think I'm now wondering is did the actress who played Mrs Avery jump or was she pushed?
The Daily Mail article does not give any more info - it was quite difficult to find as it's stuck on the end of an unrelated item about Dolly Parton. The article was to promote a BBC3 comedy series called "Dead Boss". JTW says she had difficulty getting work: "I’d love to bury She Devil and be in EastEnders, Emmerdale or Coronation Street and have tried to get parts in them. But I’m told I’m still too famous for She Devil. I won’t stop knocking on their doors though!" - I would have thought the Summer Wine role was a great opportunity to shake off the "She Devil" and get her other parts, but she had few roles after Summer Wine.
I think Mrs Avery had a future on the show with Tom, but the rivalry with Nora might have become a bit tired. I think Mrs Avery and Tom could have gone away on the bus for a while and popped back for a few episodes now-and-then.

I do recall a Roy Clarke interview (but I can't remember where) where he stated that the Mrs Avery storyline was mistake and he misjudged the reception of the audience. Personally I don't think her character was wrongly cast and just didn't quite fit in, also the fawning of Nora over Tom didn't work. That said a lot of changes had to be made in a short space of time when Compo had gone and most worked.

So, as the Summer Wine Decanted series is drawing to a close, I thought we would have a special final video. There is still one more trivia video to come on Monday 23 October 2023, at 7pm (BST) - then on Sunday 29 October 2023, at 7:00pm (GMT) there will be a YouTube Premiere of the final video. Assuming all the technical stuff works, if you join us at 7pm (or as early as about 5pm) you can comment and chat live with myself, petedk42 and maltrab in the YouTube chat next to the video (and with whoever else is watching) - and watch the video with us from 7pm.

130E2.jpg

Among other things to do with making the video series, you'll find out the significance of my comment about scaffolding in Barrychuckle's "Summerwine Tour Bus" thread and see some "behind the scenes" photos and footage. As an extra special treat, there's also an out-takes video.

395E2.jpg

Special thanks to: Dennis and Jackie Fussell at The Wrinkled Stocking Tearoom, for their help and allowing us to film there.

I'd love to join you guys for the live YouTube thing if I can get a minute to myself! Lol it seems like life is just pulling me in 50 different directions lately (everything is good tho, don't worry). That's why I'm not online as much anymore. But if I don't make it, I'll be there in spirit!
Take care of yourself ... You can still watch the video later, and the live online chat will be saved with the video.

The Daily Mail article does not give any more info - it was quite difficult to find as it's stuck on the end of an unrelated item about Dolly Parton. The article was to promote a BBC3 comedy series called "Dead Boss". JTW says she had difficulty getting work: "I’d love to bury She Devil and be in EastEnders, Emmerdale or Coronation Street and have tried to get parts in them. But I’m told I’m still too famous for She Devil. I won’t stop knocking on their doors though!" - I would have thought the Summer Wine role was a great opportunity to shake off the "She Devil" and get her other parts, but she had few roles after Summer Wine.
I think Mrs Avery had a future on the show with Tom, but the rivalry with Nora might have become a bit tired. I think Mrs Avery and Tom could have gone away on the bus for a while and popped back for a few episodes now-and-then.

I suspect the rejection from EastEnders was a polite cover for the real reason because they`ve used other famous people before like Barbara Windsor, Mike Reid and Wendy Richard. Anyway, I thought the Mrs Avery character was ill-judged and was certainly glad to see her written out, though a different actor may have fitted the role better.

Back