The Summerwine.net music thread

The death of Sinead O'Connor has been announced at the age of 56. Troubled with mental health issues she had been abused by close family members from a very young age, those who should have been there to nurture and protect her. I hope you find peace now Sinéad, you deserve it more than most. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.

The death of Sinead O'Connor has been announced at the age of 56. Troubled with mental health issues she had been abused by close family members from a very young age, those who should have been there to nurture and protect her. I hope you find peace now Sinead, you deserve it more than most. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.
That's awful news :oops:

Nope!
And it was written by Prince but it was simply outstanding. I think it was written and performed by another band before her but I'm just guessing.
The way she pulled off that song was just amazing.

Sad news. Did she have any other hits apart from Nothing Compares 2 U?
She had quite a long and successful career Roger ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinéad_O'Connor_discography
She was always a controversial figure, making some very controversial comments throughout her life, opinions and attitude probably born of her troubled formative childhood and youth. If not for these controversies she probably would have had more extensive acceptance and success.

Having number 1 music hits is the result of music business manipulation. I'm not saying much music has earned credibility on its own strengths but the music business is essentially a money making machine run by some very awful people.

Townes Van Zant, despite being a prolific song writer is mostly remembered for this one song. When he played it he would joke that he was going to play a medley of his hit. He claimed the inspiration for this song came about when he watched a film about two Mexican bandits two weeks after he wrote the song, his penchant for mind altering substances probably had something to do with that, and the fact that he died at the the age of 52. A great hero of Steve Earle whose late son Justin Townes was named after him.

Back